yes they will work. i had to rip some off a junk yard xj for my 86 mj when i bought it because one back one was in really bad shape. they work just fine. even the inside platic/rubber wheel wells work because i had to take these from the same xj too.

alex

then why did the flares that i got of a junk yard xj 4 door fit my 86 lwb mj?

alex

Front, or rear?

I said the fronts are the same. The rears are NOT the same. The MJ openings are something like 2" wider and 2" higher than an XJ. Don't make me break out the camera and tape measure ... I've been all through this. I have a pair of 2-door XJ quarters, with flares, that I was considering using to repair what a previous owner did to my MJ. I'm certain the MJ flares are larger.

And I'm certain they aren't!

But whatever. I have no basis for what I think. I know I had a good reason to think they were the same, but I'm not so sure anymore... I think it's because MJ rear flares match the profile for front flares, so I assumed that XJ rear flares would also match the profile for their front flares...

.... that I was considering using to repair what a previous owner did to my MJ. I'm certain the MJ flares are larger.

I'm-a-still lookin' for ya down here, Eagle. There just hasn't been a single @$(%# longbed in the 'yard lately!

Jeff

Stumpy how much cutting did you have to do to make them fit? I have an extra set around here somewhere. and what kind of adhesive did you use for the rear it looks like jb weld? or i could be seeing stuff but thats what it looks like and did you use the like 12 bolts to attach them to the body?

.... that I was considering using to repair what a previous owner did to my MJ. I'm certain the MJ flares are larger.

I'm-a-still lookin' for ya down here, Eagle. There just hasn't been a single @$(%# longbed in the 'yard lately!

Jeff

I guess qhen I say I justy hrew 2 sets away cause no one would get them out of my way you all are going to be mad :roll: I did throw 2 sets awy about 3 months ago though :eek:

EAGLE i used the flares from the junkyard xj on my rears. i needed new rear flares so i took them off the rear of the xj. they fit right up for me. no problems at all. i was even able to bolt them right in.

alex

Stumpy how much cutting did you have to do to make them fit? I have an extra set around here somewhere. and what kind of adhesive did you use for the rear it looks like jb weld? or i could be seeing stuff but thats what it looks like and did you use the like 12 bolts to attach them to the body?

i actually got my MJ with the flares done already. the adhesive i think is a chaulk or RTV of some sort because its kinda flexible. they are just bolted on using with fender washers looks like. i'm about 40mi from St Louis if ya wanna check em out. they are about 1" below the body line.

MJ%2053sm.jpg

ya thats what i thought. If you could post some more pics that would be killer. and i will come check them out sometime in the near future maybe in 2 weeks or so if thats cool.

i've got some pics here i'll PM you my number. i'm off most wednesdays and sundays and off around 5pm.

Okay, here are the official measurements:

MJ:

Length at bottom of opening = 34"

Height from "baseline" to top of opening = 14-3/4"

XJ:

Length at bottom of opening = 32-1/2"

Height from "baseline" to top of opening = 12-3/4"

XJ measurements were checked on both my '88 4-door and on a 2-door quarter panel that I WAS planning to use on the '88 MJ until I found that it's too small. That's how I knew -- I've been there and done that.

Even the ends aren't the same. On the MJ flares, the screw hole on the bottom is the same on both ands, basically in the center of the flare "foot." On the XJ, the rear screw location is similar to the MJ, but the forward screw is located all the way at the front end of the flare "foot."

Sorry, guys, but they are not the same.