What do I need to take the bed off?

Hey everybody-

I am getting ready to prime the comanche before the winter hits. I want to remove the bed so as to get the space between the cab and bed.

Is there any bizarro ritual that I need to do before getting the bed removed? I heard it is eight bolts but, the gas filler neck has got to be an issue.

Any info would be REALLY appreciated, as too keep me from inventing new swear words during the process.

Cheers

Personally, removing the bed is the last thing I would want to do. Rust has attacked my trucks so bad that I just know it'll be a major pain in the behind. :mad:

But several guys have done it and I'm sure they'll chime in the instant they see this.

the gas tank attaches to the bed, as does the e-brake cable. I think some of the hydraulic brake components do as well.

I never felt like taking mine off, so even with all the hacking I did, the front 2 feet of the stock bed floor are still there:

p1010134xy6.jpg

Nah, it's easy, just find all of the body mounts and undo them, then undo the ebrake bracket, then undo the screw by the gas cap that hold the filler neck in place, then be prepared to pop some wires out of their looms (Or, undo it at the tail-lights and undo it just before the fuel pump) and it should pop right off.

Oh, it holds up the gas tank though. Have to support the tank, undo the j-bolts...

he is correct 8 bolts hold the bed to the frame, the only hard one is thedrivers inside the frame next to the brake lines. first remove the one of the bolts from the bracket then loosen the second and swing it out of the way for access. The e-brake has 3 screws and the tank has three hangers that just unbolt. clear all your your wire harness and get a buddy to help lift straight up before moving it out. and that is how you do the bed removal shuffle. CAUTION: there is a member who will see this and then start telling you to cut the box frame behind the cab and weld up the shackles there. then fab up a whole new cage etc. etc. ;) :cheers: .

any more questions pm me.

my project is under the link 'how many bolts 1 2 3 & 4'

bill

Thanks for the info- way more than a service manual can tell you.

I know if I don't take it off there is now way the paint will come out right.

You guys rock-and not in a granite sort of way.

Cheers

CM Bryant

Bill, who were you talking about ;) You all forgot to mention the ground wire that is behind the drivers side tail light. That one was a PITA for me :D If you box has been exposed to lots of mud and foul weather I suggest trying to pressure wash it before you try and remove it.

Just so everyone knows... I removed the bed before I cut the frame :cheers:

yeah the ground was a pita for me too. thats why i said to lift straight up first so you don't break it like i did :oops: . besides i luv your truck if mine was 4wd and not a dd i would do the same. there is a ford ranger at a little brake and tire shop near by. he did something similiar but it is nowhere near as nice. must be a jeep thing jamminz.gif

• 3 years later...

Just a update reminder on this. A couple days before for you try to remove the nuts and bolts shoot the 8 bed bolts 3 gas tank strap bolts and the e brake screws with PB Blaster or similiar product. Hell, spray every nut you see while your under there as you may want to take something else off next month thats been locked on there for 20 years. I did that to my 86 on Thursday and on Friday it came apart like it had been built last week. The PITA ground screw behind the taillight didn't want to come out, but by putting the scredriver into the slot and whacking it hard a couple times with the hammer it backed right out. So plan ahead and give the PB Blaster time to work and it makes it a lot easier. In about 15-20 minutes everything was loose and bed was ready to lift off.