wire harness swap question

I got the dash apart on the 92 XJ, so I can swap the harness to my 88 MJ. Am I going to have to splice some wires for the fuel pump, rear lights, etc, or will the XJ dash harness just plug into the MJ rear wiring?? Hope this makes sense..... Thanks!!

When i did mine a few months ago i had to use the xj harness going back to the pump and lights and splice them into the mj wires. I swaped a 89 xj dash and harness into my mj. The xj has alot of wires you wo'nt need depending on all of the options it had. Like power windows and seats.

I got the dash apart on the 92 XJ, so I can swap the harness to my 88 MJ. Am I going to have to splice some wires for the fuel pump, rear lights, etc, or will the XJ dash harness just plug into the MJ rear wiring?? Hope this makes sense..... Thanks!!

You're going to have to splice I think 5 or 6 wires

I was told that if you have 91+ dash and harness it would not work in 87-90 vechicles due to the renix/chrysler gig. Am I correct? Because I to have a 91 dash to put in my 88.

H.O. Harness is different than the renix harness,best to have harness from which ever engine and trans type for relativity simple swap.

i am pulling all engine harness and pulling all dash harness from 92 XJ and swapping to 88 MJ. did not really want to pull wires from floorboards back, so if i can't plug XJ harness to MJ rear (fuel pump, lights, etc) i will just splice since it should be just a few wires.

i am pulling all engine harness and pulling all dash harness from 92 XJ and swapping to 88 MJ. did not really want to pull wires from floorboards back, so if i can't plug XJ harness to MJ rear (fuel pump, lights, etc) i will just splice since it should be just a few wires.

Harness should plug in with a few splices to ensure all is well, but as one that has swap wiring a few times, grap everything you can, even the wiring that goes to the back. When I did mine I used the XJ harness the whole way even the harnes to the rear just stoped it in the cab and spliced in the MJ lights, fuel pump, etc. this way I got to add a few extra interiour lights.

the '92 XJ harness should have two 16 pin body connectors, one gray and one black. I don't know the pin outs for an '88 MJ body harness, but for a '92 MJ ten splices are necessary to get things working. The first 6 pins from the black XJ harness match up with the MJ's. The other eight pin outs can be spliced over from the gray XJ harness.

92 XJ Gray body connector (wire colors in parentheses):

pin 1 (db/or) Speaker return right rear

pin 2 (db/wt) Speaker feed right rear

pin 3 (or/bk) panel illumination

pin 4 (bk) ground

pin 5 (pk) courtesy lamps

pin 6 (br/lb) speaker return left rear

pin 7 (br/yl) speaker feed left rear

pin 8

pin 9 (yl) switched ground

pin 10 (lg) seat belt switch

pin 11 (br/rd) rear wiper run

pin 12 (wt) rear wiper park

pin 13 (or/vt) lock relay

pin 14 (pk/wt) unlock relay

pin 15 (vt/yl) security alarm liftgate

pin 16 (pk/or) keyless arm input

'92 XJ Black body connector (wire colors in parentheses):

pin 1 (dg/tn) Fuel Pump

pin 2 (tn/dg) Right Rear Turn Signal

pin 3 (db/rd) Parking Lamps

pin 4 (db) Fuel Gauge

pin 5 (br/lg) Backup Lamp Signal

pin 6 (lg/bk) Left Rear Turn Signal

pin 7 (gy/or) Brake Pressure Warning SW/ Park Brake Light

pin 7 (gn) Brake Pressure Warning Switch

pin 8 (bk/rd) Rear Defogger

pin 9

pin 10 (bk/wt) Rear Washer Feed

pin 11 (wt/tn) Stop Lamps

pin 12

pin 13

pin 14

pin 15 (db/or) Illuminated Entry Signal

pin 15 (dg/or) Right front door security

pin 16 (lg/or) Left front door security

'92 MJ Black body connector (wire colors in parentheses):

pin 1 (dg/tn) Fuel Pump

pin 4 (db) Fuel Gauge

pin 7 (br/yl) Speaker Feed Left Rear

pin 8 (br/lb) Speaker Return Left Rear

pin 9 (yl) Switched Ground

pin 10 (pk) Courtesy Lamps

pin 11

pin 12

pin 13 (db/or) Speaker Return Right Rear

pin 14 (db/wt) Speaker Feed Right Rear

pin 15 (lg) Seat Belt Switch

pin 16 (or/bk) Panel Illumination

• 6 years later...

the '92 XJ harness should have two 16 pin body connectors, one gray and one black. I don't know the pin outs for an '88 MJ body harness, but for a '92 MJ ten splices are necessary to get things working. The first 6 pins from the black XJ harness match up with the MJ's. The other eight pin outs can be spliced over from the gray XJ harness.

92 XJ Gray body connector (wire colors in parentheses):

pin 1 (db/or) Speaker return right rear

pin 2 (db/wt) Speaker feed right rear

pin 3 (or/bk) panel illumination

pin 4 (bk) ground

pin 5 (pk) courtesy lamps

pin 6 (br/lb) speaker return left rear

pin 7 (br/yl) speaker feed left rear

pin 8

pin 9 (yl) switched ground

pin 10 (lg) seat belt switch

pin 11 (br/rd) rear wiper run

pin 12 (wt) rear wiper park

pin 13 (or/vt) lock relay

pin 14 (pk/wt) unlock relay

pin 15 (vt/yl) security alarm liftgate

pin 16 (pk/or) keyless arm input

'92 XJ Black body connector (wire colors in parentheses):

pin 1 (dg/tn) Fuel Pump

pin 4 (db) Fuel Gauge

pin 7 (gy/or) Brake Pressure Warning SW/ Park Brake Light

pin 7 (gn) Brake Pressure Warning Switch

pin 8 (bk/rd) Rear Defogger

pin 9

pin 10 (bk/wt) Rear Washer Feed

pin 12

pin 13

pin 14

pin 15 (db/or) Illuminated Entry Signal

pin 15 (dg/or) Right front door security

pin 16 (lg/or) Left front door security

'92 MJ Black body connector (wire colors in parentheses):

pin 1 (dg/tn) Fuel Pump

pin 4 (db) Fuel Gauge

pin 7 (br/yl) Speaker Feed Left Rear

pin 8 (br/lb) Speaker Return Left Rear

pin 9 (yl) Switched Ground

pin 10 (pk) Courtesy Lamps

pin 11

pin 12

pin 13 (db/or) Speaker Return Right Rear

pin 14 (db/wt) Speaker Feed Right Rear

pin 15 (lg) Seat Belt Switch

pin 16 (or/bk) Panel Illumination

Dude i get this a really old post but I'm dealing with some problems with my 92s wiring. It has a xj dash/engine harness the po installed. In an effort to clean up the hack-n-tap jumpers and make everything actually work i have hit a wall.

What are the ten splices you made and where? 

How did you get the turn to interrupt the brake?

thanks

Parker - the dash harness should, if i'm remembering correctly, connect to the rear cab harness somewhere along the floor on the drivers side near the rear of the cab.

The PO of your MJ may have already made splices, so what i'm going to do is list the splices i made from an unmolested XJ harness listing the wire colors which may help you track what the PO did and reverse something if necessary.

on the Black XJ Dash connector, remove the following pins and put them aside (you can plug them into the Gray XJ connector later so they aren't just hanging out there)

• pin 7 (gy/or) Brake Pressure Warning SW/ Park Brake Light/(gn) Brake Pressure Warning Switch (double wire)
  • pin 8 (bk/rd) Rear Defogger
  • pin 10 (bk/wt) Rear Washer Feed
  • pin 11 (wt/tn) Stop Lamps (double wire)
  • pin 15 (db/or) Illuminated Entry Signal/Right front door security (double wire)
  • pin 16 (lg/or) Left front door security

On the Gray XJ Dash connector, remove the following pins and put them into the Black XJ connector:

• pin 5 (pk) courtesy lamps into pin 10
  • pin 6 (br/lb) speaker return left rear into pin 8
  • pin 7 (br/yl) speaker feed left rear into pin 7             
  • pin 9 (yl) switched ground into pin 9
  • pin 10 (lg) seat belt switch into pin 15

And to answer your question about the stop lights - you have to add a wire on the XJ dash harness. I'll try to explain this the best i can until i can post a picture of the harness or diagrams out of the FSM. Find the flat connector that plugs into the steering column, it will have 11 pins, 5 on one side and 6 on the other. The last pin on the outside of the 6 pin side should be missing a wire.  You will have to add a wire in that pin to your stop lamp switch mounted onto the brake pedal support bracket.  There will be a white and tan wire going into the switch, tap the wire you ran from the steering column into that wire.

Thanks that helps a lot.  As for the add in wire a picture would be great. I know the plug on the steering column (turn signal switch i replaced it already) and the wire there but my brake light switch does not have a brown/tan wire. looking at the back of the plug on the harness side it looks like this.

l_________________

l   wt/pk   wt/tn   yl/rd   l

l   bk       pk/bk  bl/rd   l

l_________________l

I'm assuming it would be the wt/tn on mine because its got continuity with the Pin11 (wt/tn Stop Lamps (double wire))of the black xj plug so I'm assuming splicing it to the flat plug on the steering column would feed the brake lights through the the turn signal switch.?

thanks again

Parker

you're right, it's white tan. Given how late it was when i was writing my response, i should have double checked everything.  If that doesn't solve your problem i'll see if i can find the box i stored my '92 harness in and take a picture.

i've edited my other post so i don't cause anyone else any problems....

I cut the steering column plug out of a junkyard XJ or MJ dash harness to use as a donor.  I didn't take apart the plug, i used a small tool (a jeweler's screwdriver would work) to free a pin from the donor connector. I don't have the plug right in front of me, but usually they have a small plastic tab on the connector or a metal tab on the pin that holds the pin in place.  Use the tool to push the tab while simultaneously pulling the wire out the back of the connector.

• 2 weeks later...