Dakota Seats to stock Comanche mounts

After spending a lot of time looking at posts on 40/20/40 Dakota Seats, I decided to pick up a set to replace my bench seat. My bench seat looked like new, but wouldn't go far enough back, besides no console.  Didn't want to go to buckets, because my cattle dog likes to lay across the seat with his head on my leg.  I'm 6' and was a little worried about end result, since I was already feeling cramped. I also didn't want to drill holes through the floor to mount the seats.  So, decided to build a mount that would use original mounting points and mount the seat further back.  The end result was incredible.  I sit a little higher, which I like and it gave me a lot more legroom.  I hope these images will help anyone else looking at the same idea.  Also didn't plan it that way, but everything worked out perfectly for my gun safe to sit down between the door-sill and the new mount. 

PrimedFrame1.jpg

PrimedFRame2.jpg

This set was out of a 1998 Dakota, extended cab, and the seats don't flip forward.  I also had a set from a 2003, standard cab, where the seat backs flipped forward, but the seats weren't as nice and I didn't like the upholstery pattern as well as these.  It just means I have to slide the seats forward for access to storage. Not a big deal.  Another bonus was a large pocket on the back of the passenger seat that gives easy access from the drivers seat for things you don't want out in the open.

Something I didn't mention! These are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in.  Drove to Spokane (300 miles) and was as comfortable when I got there, as I was when I left. Fit my body perfect. Also, I took a set of handles from above the drivers side rear of a Cherokee and put them on the drivers side of my truck (visible in the pictures). This seat is slightly higher than the stock seat and it took me hitting my head twice before I got used to it.  I still have a good 3" to 4" headroom and I'm 6'.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 7:11 PM, cody4359 said:

those look comfortable. I think wj seats are the best I've sat in, I'm getting a little tired of my big bolster seats, but don't want to give up my center console

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I "suspect" that the Dakota bench seat is really a 3 part front seat.  Seem to remember a thread from 7-8 years ago with the center console mounted much higher.  Effectively a pair of bucket seats and a matching center console/3rd passenger seat.    Have a pair of fold forward converted WJ seats in my 91 Comanche.  My back really appreciates the change from MJ bucket seats.

Yes, they are three parts and bolt together.  I had seen the post with the center section sitting higher and didn't want to do that.  I bolted them together first, then blocked them into place and fabricated from there.

• 1 month later...

Let me check on that.  I don't have the time or equipment to do this on a regular basis, but a friend has a shop and commented that he might be interested in doing up a batch of these.  I'll check on a price and timeline if he's still interested!

Talked to my friend and he said he would be willing to do up some Dodge Dakota 40/20/40 seat to Comanche stock mounting points.  We'll pull my seats and make templates for this, so they'll be exactly like I've pictured, probably raw metal so people can paint them any color.  He says he can probably do them for $150 if there is enough interest.  Anyone else interested, let me know. I'm not sure when he'll be able to start, and some of it will depend on whether he thinks it's worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll talk to him tomorrow. It's up to ten kits and I think he'll get started for that.  Unfortunately it means we have to pull my seat out to make patterns.  Actually pretty easy though.  I'll let everyone know!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...