Exhaust bypass (muffler/cat) Dallas tx

I'm in Dallas Texas and for a 88 they only require safety inspection. But my question is "can I straight pipe the exhaust legally or is it illegal?" As the muffler on my dads Comanche has a hole in it and the cat on mine the inside is rattling around.

Thank yall for any info.

well, technically the cat is a federal emissions law, so yes, technically it would be against the law to remove it. 

mufflers will generally fall under local noise restrictions.  running the engine sans muffler makes my 4.0 insanely loud.  there's no way I'd run that way all the time.

I'm in Dallas Texas and for a 88 they only require safety inspection. But my question is "can I straight pipe the exhaust legally or is it illegal?" As the muffler on my dads Comanche has a hole in it and the cat on mine the inside is rattling around.

Thank yall for any info.

Call your local DMV to be sure. But I'm sure it violates not only local noise restrictions, but EPA Noise Pollution regulations as well.

Better run the muffler it's annoying without one anyways! Now for the cat, where you and I live you will never here a word about it, the question is if you want to do your part for the planet. I personally do not have one on at this time ,the stock cat was clogged and haven't had the extra 100$ for hi flow cat but will get one eventually

performance-curve.com has high flow universal cats for cheap. They also seem to have reasonable prices on mufflers as well. Otherwise, buy a muffler of your choice and maybe a universal cat from amazon or wherever. 

cutting them out and using good clamps will be fine. No welding required, unless you feel it necessary. 

But, by Federal law, removing any factory emissions equipment is a no no. I think one of the only exceptions might be for an "offroad only" vehicle. But, most places require some sort of spark arrestor. SO, even if you decide to run cat-less. At least run some kind of muffler. 

I do mine in Kaufman which has same as Dallas rules. If you have a tech that does his job, in Dallas county inspection they will flag it. Just hollow out your cat and put a flow master or high flow of some sort. In Texas you have to only worry about a trooper who will say it is to loud with straights. if he looks under see's no exhaust ticket! cats have to remain on if it came stock with one, since over 25 years old, cat does not need to work.

I do mine in Kaufman which has same as Dallas rules. If you have a tech that does his job, in Dallas county inspection they will flag it. Just hollow out your cat and put a flow master or high flow of some sort. In Texas you have to only worry about a trooper who will say it is to loud with straights. if he looks under see's no exhaust ticket! cats have to remain on if it came stock with one, since over 25 years old, cat does not need to work.

OK I will just hollow it out. Thank you