Relay Id and electrical Diagnosis Help

I'm trying to figure out what the relay that goes into the brown receptacle under the dash on a 92xj controls. There is a cluster of three relays on a bracket that attaches to the kick panel on the driverside. With an aftermarket stereo installed and this relay in place the stereo is always on. If I remove the relay the stereo performs as it should. I've double and triple checked the wiring of the radio. searched for any disconnected or obvious ground errors. Any help would be appreciated. I do not have a stock radio to test, but I've used my multi-meter and a test light. The ign wire at the stereo plug is getting power from the relay through the coil or some other back fed item controlled through this relay. If I try to turn on the blower the deck looses power. All these tests with the ignition off.

The pink wire that energizes the coil at this relay has power all the time unless i pull the dome fuse. The other side of the coil at this relay is yellow with a black tracer.

15832225044_182e66bc38.jpg

vehicle info:

92 4.0 laredo 4x4

I do not know if this will help you but if your relay looks like this here is the pin-out

Thanks for the pic. I understand how relays work very well.

I need to know what this relay controls so I can chase down my short, or just decide if i'm not going to plug it back in. It's the brown recepticle in the cluster of three located under the driverside kick panel.

15832225044_182e66bc38.jpg

There was only one 3 relay block on the IP harness in the 92 FSM, and it's more near the steering column than by the driver's side kick panel. Doesn't mean it couldn't have been moved to the kick panel at some point.  (link removed because its no longer active)

If appears to be the correct relay block i will get you copies of the relay diagrams.The illumination relay does have a pink and a black/yellow wire going to it, but fwiw i would start with the aftermarket stereo harness.

There was only one 3 relay block on the IP harness in the 92 FSM, and it's more near the steering column than by the driver's side kick panel. Doesn't mean it couldn't have been moved to the kick panel at some point.  Here is a link to the 92 dash harness diagram.

I can't keep the link active long, if appears to be the correct relay block i will get you copies of the relay diagrams.The illumination relay does have a pink and a black/yellow wire going to it, but fwiw i would start with the aftermarket stereo harness.

Thank you. That's the set of relays. I could feel one clicking when I pressed for the horn. I would greatly appreciate the wire diagram.

So the one you are looking at is for your door switch to turn the interiors on and off with the opening and closing of the door.....I do not know what your PO did to bring the stereo into that mix,,,,,,but as said above maybe you should start with the stereo harness and work from there?

With that relay removed the door lights and rear hatch lights work when doors open and close, so what does the relay control? Secondly with that relay removed all wire at the factory wire look behave as expected. I also found that when this relay is plugged in the illumination wire at stereo also receives power (not connected to aftermarket).

Regarding the stereo harness. I made a new loom from the factory plug. The connections are good and the wire to wire combos are correct per aftermarket stereo and jeep wire diagrams as well as tested via meter and test light with out that relay connected.

The factory stereo loom appears in molested as far back as I can go with out removing dash. I understand wrapped all the tape too, pulled the heat controller for more room. No crossed, pinched, or exposed wires visible.

Now the previous owner did use beer can shims in the tail light socket to space an incorrect bulb, so anything is possible. I did also un wrap the wire loom from the relay all the way to the main harness. And non of that was damaged.

Sorry about the quality, its not easy to put the FSM on the scanner and not trash the spine.

Relay Wire Diagrams

I'm going to leave the link active til the weekend.

Thank you very much. Ill print them out and figure out my testing. Quick glance it's behaving as it should just need to figure out why relay is getting power when not suppose to.

Do you have a factory dash clock ( or did the factory stereo come with a clock)?

If so it would require a constant power source to keep the time and the preset stations......just throwing that out there  :dunno:

Do you have a factory dash clock ( or did the factory stereo come with a clock)?

If so it would require a constant power source to keep the time and the preset stations......just throwing that out there  :dunno:

It has a clock, it might be an information center of sorts as there are like 8 wire (estimate) after going over the wire diagrams I'm thinking it's a combo of factory keyless entry and an aftermarket security system that was removed. I'm gonna follow out three wires on schematics in next day or so. But based on what I've seen so far I don't need the relay as it seems it's redundant.