New Shocks, Monroe Sensa Track Load Levelers

Yeah, I have the big fat OME shocks on the back, and they are real close to the seam but clear okay. Guess that POS Monroe w. overload spring is even wider.  :yes:   Can you use an adjustable wrench and carefully bend the seam slightly to clear?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe. It'd take a little more than a small bend to make enough space. Not sure if I really want to deal with it though. I actually screwed up and ordered these and a set of Sensa-Tracs that I though I was ordering for the front. Between finding that out and the "issue" with my high beams, it's been a real doozy of an evening.  :oops:

Ran into that on my long bed. It's 100% stock though with the big tank, the spring doesn't make contact but comes very close. I did have an issue with it crushing a hard brake line against the rail though, ended up breaking it when I tried to move it away. Stupid Ohio rust. Going to swipe them for my short bed though maybe unless they are way too short since it has a 4.5 lift, although the ones there now are maxed out basically just sitting still so they can't be any worse.

Travel for this shock is:

Extended Length = 23.375"

Compressed Length = 14.000"

That's about perfect for rear MJ shocks with a 1"-3" lift.

Actually, that's dead on for an MJ at stock height.

Monroe lists two standard shocks (not coil-over) for the rear of the MJ.

Compressed Length = 13.375

Extended Length = 23.125

Compressed Length = 14.375

Extended Length = 23.000

The Load-Leveler you listed has a total travel of 9.375". Assuming it rides at mid-travel with the bed unloaded, you have 4-3/16" travel up or down. I'd say you're good up to about a 2" lift. Any more, and you've used up almost all the extension, so you'll have no droop at all.

Just to re-report on these shocks...

I LOVE them.   The coil feature really assists my backside hold up when I have a load of firewood or potatoes back there.  I have a long 2" AAL back there, and longer shackles which, when I had the Ultras on there was fine, until I loaded 6 or 8 80# bags of concrete and 100 or so fence boards.  Then the rear would sag.  Now I can fill the bed (SWB) with oak firewood and it doesn't.

I don't have to worry about the tank or any other interference.  They are not big ol' fat shocks and the ride is firm and smooth(ish).  Since I don't really do much flexing, drooping or crawling it seems like the perfect shock for me. 

The Monroe p/n is 58497.  Why they don't cross this p/n over to the Comanche, I don't know.  They have the 5/8" loop fittings on both ends, it must have something to do with the min - max travel dimensions. 

I think the reason they don't list for the MJ is because of the height sensing valve for the brakes. If the truck does not squat for the added weight then you won't get more brake pressure to help stop the extra weight. I have never found any overload or air shocks listed for the MJ.

The Monroe p/n is 58497.  Why they don't cross this p/n over to the Comanche, I don't know.  They have the 5/8" loop fittings on both ends, it must have something to do with the min - max travel dimensions. 

I think the reason they don't list for the MJ is because of the height sensing valve for the brakes. If the truck does not squat for the added weight then you won't get more brake pressure to help stop the extra weight. I have never found any overload or air shocks listed for the MJ.

That's an excellent observation, and probably right on. The dimensions are basically spot-on for a stock MJ, so there had to be a reason not to list them, and for a manufacturer with deep pockets like Tenneco, selling something that would detrimentally affect the braking would be a HUGE liability.

I think you could have used even larger font Charlie.  :yes:

Somehow the font on my machine went tiny on me...I had to bump it up just so I could read it.  I didn't see the finished product  :doh:

I have it set to "Senior Citizen"

Let us know how they do! Ill be ordering mine after I order my 4.0 rebuild kit

Odered mine, and have been on for a coule months now..this rig is mostly a pavement pounder for now and I love them. This is how I put my rear shock on after the retaining bolt worked its way off..The shock still had about 1 or 2 inches of drop..but my front bump stops limited me

Image Not Found

Sorry about the angle, turn your head till the road is going slightly down hill from the right side of your screen to left.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

... Has anyone managed to install these Monroes on a long bed in spite of the clearance issues with the fuel tank?

I honestly think it'd be possible, but you'd have to fiddle with things a bit. Like you stated before, probably bend a little more on the lip of the fuel tank to make some room, but I think you'd need to loosen the straps on the tank and shifting things forward too.

... Has anyone managed to install these Monroes on a long bed in spite of the clearance issues with the fuel tank?

I honestly think it'd be possible, but you'd have to fiddle with things a bit. Like you stated before, probably bend a little more on the lip of the fuel tank to make some room, but I think you'd need to loosen the straps on the tank and shifting things forward too.

I was hoping you had installed these by now Ben.  :yes: 

Sorry to disappoint, Don... returned them months ago. What I remember though is that I would've had to make up about an inch worth of clearance from somewhere. At the time, I really didn't want to deal with it and Monroe had their "buy four get whatever free" rebate going on. Being that these came as a package of two shocks, they wouldn't let me use the rebate on them... even though I technically bought four shocks. The story ends with me returning these and using Sensa-Tracs in their place.

Still, I bet others would still like to see what it'd take to get these on a LWB. GO FOR IT!!!  :wrench:

Sorry to disappoint, Don... returned them months ago. What I remember though is that I would've had to make up about an inch worth of clearance from somewhere. At the time, I really didn't want to deal with it and Monroe had their "buy four get whatever free" rebate going on. Being that these came as a package of two shocks, they wouldn't let me use the rebate on them... even though I technically bought four shocks. The story ends with me returning these and using Sensa-Tracs in their place.

Still, I bet others would still like to see what it'd take to get these on a LWB. GO FOR IT!!!  :wrench:

I have dual exhausts back there too so the gas tank wouldn't be the only thing I'd have to deal with. I just wanted to see a pair installed on a LWB so I could see it first..........

I'm lazy that way.   :yes:

Just so anyone interested can see, here are pics of them installed on a stock LWB with the 23gal tank. The spring comes very very close to the tank, and it was actually even crushing the solid brake lines against the frame (that's them you see yanked down). The truck does not get driven though so I've not bothered trying to make more clearance, if it was I would have yanked them back off and returned them.

I'd wager they are right around there. The trucks are not kept at my house so I couldn't check to be sure, but I do remember thinking they were awfully big when I installed them last summer. I don't have a pic, but I laid them next to the stock ones I took off and there was probably a good inch or more in width with those springs.

Wait... so clearance will only be a problem on LWB MJ's for those with 23.5 gal tanks?  I have a 16 gal tank...  Will this pose an issue?

Couldn't say, I've never seen a 16gal tank on a LWB either. I know the option was there, though not sure why anyone would have ever taken it and it seems most didn't in my experience.