Fuel Sender with Pump

Well......

I tried to get a new fuel pump and sender unit as the sender was leaking and in order to do the muffler... well gas leaks aren't good.

1990 Jeep Comanche Pioneer Long Bed 4.0 Automatic

JC Whitney says

SKU Number: 1JA 533092 Manufacturer Number: RE0302S

I ordered it. Received it. Took it to Midas to have it installed along with a new muffler. They say it won't fit. Any ideas?

Yep... MJ fuel sender assemblies are not the same as XJ fuel assemblies, though most cross ref databases list a 93 XJ assembly as fitting a 91 (and probably 92 and maybe earlier) MJ. They don't even make MJ assemblies anymore. Junkyard or modify it to make it work yourself... there is no other way that I am aware of.

Fortunately you're in socal, where rust doesn't exist and you can probably find an MJ in a pull-a-part to take one from if you try hard enough.

What does not fit? Try northern auto parts in Ia. I got a new complete assembly for an 88 comanche laredo form them.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ECatal ... %20VIN%20L

But did it work :dunno:

I just check out the link you posted and that's a XJ sending unit :eek:

And if you look at the listing, it said - " 87-90 JEEP CHEROKEE,COMANCHE,WAGON 4.0L "

That is not the sending unit for a MJ :shake: The fuel pump is the same, but the sending unit is not.

kastein is correct in his statement :yes:

And.......before this gets into 5 pages of 'he said, she said'.......check other topics on this subject.

Oh, and for S&G's, here's the difference -

That could be, I never looked at the xj setup. It worked for me so I thought it might help, sorry if it was wrong.

The only difference I saw was the float arm/wire was a little different and the tube/pipe was a little shorter from the large circle mount to where it curves down to the pump. I installed it and it pumped fuel. I did have to reseat it to get the float to miss the pan inside the tank.

I'm not blasting you :oops:

But this comes up every 3 months, and to make it clear, the XJ sending unit that ALL the parts store sell, is Not an exact fit into the MJ's fuel tank, with the reserve pan.

The other thing you will notice, don't let the fuel get below a 1/4 tank, because the pump is not sitting in the bottom of the reserve pan like it should, and you'll have fuel in the tank, and an engine that will not run on air.

I also seen your other post after I replied to this one :roll:

• 7 months later...

:hijack: this is an old one so ill do it. I'm trying to understand this, and wondering if its a case by case scenerio or sumthing, as in are the sending unit the same between short bed/long bed, and from the 2.5 to 4.0?? I'm sure the pumps are different from 2.5 to 4.0. from what i understand no new mj senders are avaliable. i am doing a 96 xj 4.0 swap into my 89 mj that has a 2.5, its a swb. i have pulled the pump/sender from the xj, but not the mj yet. does anybody have pictures of how they modified/configured a cherokee pump/sender to fit in the mj tank with the baffle? or will my 4.0 pump swap onto the 2.5 sender?

I think the 4.0 pump can be adapted to the 2.5 sending unit. I put a fuel pump in my '87 2.5 and I had to do a few mods to fit the replacement Bosch pump on the sending unit. I put a gas tank in the '90 4.0 and, as far as I could remember, it looked the same to me. I suspect you may have to drill a hole or two to mount the 4.0 pump but I don't see any reason why the 2.5 sending unit couldn't handle it.

I took a fuel pump from a 89 4.0 and put it in a '89 2.5. The pump was 1 inch shorter but no problem fitting or working. That was a year ago and I still drive it, no problems. Might be a problem going from a 2.5 to a 4.0 because of the length but I'm sure nothing that couldn't be solved. They have them on EBay so can always get one there.

I'm confused, you swaped a 4.0 fuel pump into a 2.5 tank/sending unit. the 4.0 pump was an inch shorter than the 2.5 pump but fit fine (i under stand that) but then you wrote

Might be a problem going from a 2.5 to a 4.0 because of the length but I'm sure nothing that couldn't be solved. They have them on EBay so can always get one there.
could you clairafy :dunno:

I'm confused, you swaped a 4.0 fuel pump into a 2.5 tank/sending unit. the 4.0 pump was an inch shorter than the 2.5 pump but fit fine (i under stand that) but then you wrote
Might be a problem going from a 2.5 to a 4.0 because of the length but I'm sure nothing that couldn't be solved. They have them on EBay so can always get one there.
could you clairafy :dunno:

You will notice that the two mounts for the fuel pump on the assy. The pump fits between them. With the shorter pump you just push it down until it's snug. Try to put the longer pump into the short assy and it won't fit between the two mounts.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

ive got an 86 2.5 tbi that I'm searching all over for a sending unit cause mine has rusted to peices. Like jimoshel said would putting in a pump from a 4.0L work? Or would it be too much pressure for the 2.5tbi? i have found a sending unit with pump but only for an 87 4.0L...