Gas Theft...

james750

SUCKS, i have been dealing with problems with the vdub starting the last few days, ive been thinking that it was carb probs b/c its had them for years. i got my dad to help me out this evening with it, sprayed some jump start in it and it fired up for a second, but i didnt see any gas flow. i just filled it up last week so that was fine i had thought, but NO. BONE DRY, someones been stealing gas, but ive been locking it. hmmmm, someone had to have some knowledge to know that a pry bar will pry the hood open right away and then the gas tank can be drained easy that way.

put a gallon of gas in it, it fired up and i drove off.

I HATE GAS THEFT!!!!! :mad: :headpop:

Wal-Mart sells those automatic cameras for taking pictures of game animals. I saw them in the sporting goods department last week. It wouldn't be hard to set one up to stand watch over your vehicle. I think they are motion activated (infra red?).

That's low. :mad:

Although I have contemplated taking some of the gas out of my trucks to put into the van. There's probably a hundred and fifty dollars of gas in their combined tanks! Maybe I'll just hold onto it for when gas reaches $8. :roll:

Wal-Mart sells those automatic cameras for taking pictures of game animals. I saw them in the sporting goods department last week. It wouldn't be hard to set one up to stand watch over your vehicle. I think they are motion activated (infra red?).

ill probably get one of those b/c this is the spot where the f250, camper, boat, and vdub and its out of sight from the house and are easy targets. the f250 has locking tanks b/c about 5 gallons were stolen out of it about 2 yrs ago and i thought that having the trunk locked in the vw would be enough deterent but i guess not. its sad how low ppl will go for a few gallons of gas these days. :cry:

Well, word on the street around here is that the crooks are in too much of a hurry to mess with locking gas caps. They just take a screwdriver or an ice pick, punch holes in your tank, and catch the juice as it runs out.

Better get that camera set up.

yeah, on the vw you can just shove a pry bar underneath the trunk opening (even if locked) pull up about 1/2 inch, it pops and ur in w/o any damage to the car thankfully. i guess if they were going to take it its better than popping holes in the tank

Well, word on the street around here is that the crooks are in too much of a hurry to mess with locking gas caps. They just take a screwdriver or an ice pick, punch holes in your tank, and catch the juice as it runs out.

Better get that camera set up.

That is exactly what folks are doing to some of our fleet trucks, I guess I will be keeping my spare gas tank in case such a days comes for me. Cameras work great until thiefs figure out you have them. Now a lot of our crimes have folks with hoods and masks so you can't ID them.

That is pretty cold blooded stealing gas from a 61 beetle. What are you going to get 10.6 gallons?

When I had a 61 (last year of "no factory gas gauge" BTW) I was pretty good with the reserve lever and usually the passenger never even realized we had just run out of gas. I could fill it up for like $2.50 (back in 1970).