Comanche 2.5 Liter shoots flames out of the throttle body

My Jeep idles normaly, when you hit the gas, it shoots flames from the throttle body, and it misses. I've replaced the plugs, wires, cap, button, relay. It was running fine, until one day, it just suddenly started sputtering. I had to keep it floored in first gear to get her home. It acts like only two plugs are firing, but all four are sparking, just not causing the timely and proper reaction. Where would you start? I've suspected timing, but would also like to know what else you guys may think of.

Thanks

You are right on it frm my experiences. Timing has been the culprit every time I have run across the trouble that you are desribing. The 2.5L uses a chain tensioner that the 4.0L doesn't and when it goes, you will have trouble.

Thanks guys...I thought the same. I feel much more confident now that you have confirmed my beliefs. I guess tomorrow I begin the breakdown fun stuff and get a good look at that chain and tensioner. I'm excited!!! I've been without my jeep for a few months. I now have some time to work on her.

Thanks guys.

Ha! my video camera is broken, but I'll see what I can do to get a clip of the big a@# flames shooting out. It is spectacular at dusk. My friends and I gather around with beers and make little bets on when it will backfire and shoot flames. The scary time is when my friend lifted the hood right as it did it. Man, he jumped back and to the ground. Funny stuff.

Ha! my video camera is broken, but I'll see what I can do to get a clip of the big a@# flames shooting out. It is spectacular at dusk. My friends and I gather around with beers and make little bets on when it will backfire and shoot flames. The scary time is when my friend lifted the hood right as it did it. Man, he jumped back and to the ground. Funny stuff.

It's all fun and games till someone gets an eyelash burnt off.

Getting an eyelash burned off would be a small problem.

You should not run the engine like that. It is NOT a joke -- it's a timing and/or lean burn problem, and it can cause the engine to catch fire. When you are testing it, be sure you have a large, fully-charged fire extinguisher right next to you. And do NOT treat it as a joke. You could lose the vehicle, and you and/or your friends could be seriously injured.

Yeah, it would be even more spectacular if you had a fuel leak and you started an engine bonfire. Be sure to have the marshmallows ready. :nuts:

Getting an eyelash burned off would be a small problem.

You should not run the engine like that. It is NOT a joke -- it's a timing and/or lean burn problem, and it can cause the engine to catch fire. When you are testing it, be sure you have a large, fully-charged fire extinguisher right next to you. And do NOT treat it as a joke. You could lose the vehicle, and you and/or your friends could be seriously injured.

yeah that would suck to see a rod drop to the ground or a pool of anti freeze run across the driveway...

P.S. anti-freeze is flamable