With these INSANE gas prices...

CWLONGSHOT

i just got a 99 mercury tracer(yeah its a crappy automatic but whatever). i mainly got it for the wife to use, while i still cruise in my xj.

not really on topic but i got in a race with a newer malibu V6 yesterday, i beat it worse than i thought i would. lol just wanted to throw it out there

Update. The Libby set a new record on the way down to Georgia. Dad said he got a best of 33.3 mpg on the trip computer. jamminz.gif

I've cleaned the sensors and dropped in a fresh air filter since last time.

Update. The Libby set a new record on the way down to Georgia. Dad said he got a best of 33.3 mpg on the trip computer. jamminz.gif

Yea, but whats gonna happen when they go back UPHILL :brows: I usually seem to get better mileage going downhill into Florida from Georgia :dunno:

I'm sticking with my Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L as my DD. I just can't bring myself to drive some little car as I love the power of the V8. I am happy with the MPG at 12 - 14 around town and 17 - 19 hwy 8) .

I will have it paid off in the near future and intend to sell/trade it to get a Diesel 2500 or 3500 Ram to make my DD. :D

honestly, a 4 banger in a small car would be just as fast as a large truck. and you would double your mpg's.

i used to own nothing but hondas before i bought my first jeep. the last one i had was a 91 civic. it got 35 mpg driving like a grandma, but it had plenty of power. then i swapped in a newer engine. it added 35hp. not only was it a lot faster but i also recorded my best mpg record of 37, and that was beating on it jamminz.gif

I'm sticking with my Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L as my DD. I just can't bring myself to drive some little car as I love the power of the V8. I am happy with the MPG at 12 - 14 around town and 17 - 19 hwy 8) .

I will have it paid off in the near future and intend to sell/trade it to get a Diesel 2500 or 3500 Ram to make my DD. :D

honestly, a 4 banger in a small car would be just as fast as a large truck. and you would double your mpg's.

i used to own nothing but hondas before i bought my first jeep. the last one i had was a 91 civic. it got 35 mpg driving like a grandma, but it had plenty of power. then i swapped in a newer engine. it added 35hp. not only was it a lot faster but i also recorded my best mpg record of 37, and that was beating on it jamminz.gif

I may understand a bit of TAZ's way of thinking, I don't feel comfortable in a small car (crash factor) but am happy with my 6 banger blowing away some of the "8's" when I need to (meaning: getting out of the way of someone not focused on THEIR driving :nuts: ). Reality tells me that a 4 banger (my "new" Comanche) for back and forth to work is better and to save the size, power, and luxury for the weekends and the few trips I make out of town :brows:

Yea...I understand that, but fast is not what I am looking at...it's the HP because I use the truck for hauling and towing. I drive sensibly, always within 5 MPH of the posted speed limit. The big pleasure I take from the V8 is the launch from a stop. I love to hit the hammer hard from a stop and get up to speed as fast as possible and hear the roar of the V8 through the dual Flow Master set up ;) .

I guess I am one of a fortunate few. I don't make or have a lot of money, but I also have nearly no debt. Only a small amount left to pay on the truck and our mortgage is very small and nearly paid off (7-8 years) as well. So...even though gas prices are crazy, they really are not hurting me yet.

Not meaning to brag or sound conceited...just want folks to understand where I am coming from and that I agree that the small car thing is right for anyone that chooses it :cheers: . We do drive the YJ or MJ on weekends for anything we need to do as they get better MPG than the truck. ;)

Yea...I understand that, but fast is not what I am looking at...it's the HP because I use the truck for hauling and towing. I drive sensibly, always within 5 MPH of the posted speed limit. The big pleasure I take from the V8 is the launch from a stop. I love to hit the hammer hard from a stop and get up to speed as fast as possible and hear the roar of the V8 through the dual Flow Master set up ;) .

I guess I am one of a fortunate few. I don't make or have a lot of money, but I also have nearly no debt. Only a small amount left to pay on the truck and our mortgage is very small and nearly paid off (7-8 years) as well. So...even though gas prices are crazy, they really are not hurting me yet.

Not meaning to brag or sound conceited...just want folks to understand where I am coming from and that I agree that the small car thing is right for anyone that chooses it :cheers: .

Well Taz, THAT is a horse of a different color (pun intended) jamminz.gif Ya gotta have the power for towing for sure, I should know, driving a tandem dump truck that CAN out pull empty trucks when I'm loaded (ya think the 6 speed automatic Mack has anything to do with it ?)

I'm glad I drive the Neon R/T to work. I'm a fireman that works seven 24hr shifts per month. Work is about 230km away, that's 460km round trip, 3220km per month(2000 miles/month). The car costs about $50 to fill (with reg. 47 Litres-12.4 gal)and that is good for a round trip plus a bit. So that's about $350/month in fuel(just to get to and from work). I remember the first time I filled the car up from empty with "Super" it was $38-that was 2002 :nuts: . The 'Manche isn't terrible on gas-I've driven worse(grew up drivin my Dad's 60's Mopar Musclecars jamminz.gif ) but I sure am glad I have some little POS to fall back on. :Canadaflag:

here it is, the commuter! the damn Flux Capacitor keeps putting the"CHECK ENGINE" light on.

3013608_1_full.jpg

I'm glad I drive the Neon R/T to work. I'm a fireman that works seven 24hr shifts per month. Work is about 230km away, that's 460km round trip, 3220km per month(2000 miles/month). The car costs about $50 to fill (with reg. 47 Litres-12.4 gal)and that is good for a round trip plus a bit. So that's about $350/month in fuel(just to get to and from work). I remember the first time I filled the car up from empty with "Super" it was $38-that was 2002 :nuts: . The 'Manche isn't terrible on gas-I've driven worse(grew up drivin my Dad's 60's Mopar Musclecars jamminz.gif ) but I sure am glad I have some little POS to fall back on. :Canadaflag:

here it is, the commuter! the damn Flux Capacitor keeps putting the"CHECK ENGINE" light on.

3013608_1_full.jpg

Imperial, you must either have a ranch or some kind of paradise to commute that far (and I thought I lived out in the "country"). From the time I pull out of my driveway (if I don't stop for a biscuit and coffee) I can be at work in 20-25 minutes. Oh BTW, hats off to you Imperial and all the firefighters out there. jamminz.gif

3013608_1_full.jpg

Imperial, you must either have a ranch or some kind of paradise to commute that far (and I thought I lived out in the "country"). From the time I pull out of my driveway (if I don't stop for a biscuit and coffee) I can be at work in 20-25 minutes. Oh BTW, hats off to you Imperial and all the firefighters out there. jamminz.gif

Thanks Wooky-I appreciate it! I live in the country on a little bit of property--I work in the big city(suburbs of Toronto) . I would HATE to live in the city (I'm a simple country boy) but I love working there because we(my station) are busy. You are in the Atlanta area--cool--been to Georgia a few times-I have relatives in Tifton. Thanks again.

Thanks Wooky-I appreciate it! I live in the country on a little bit of property--I work in the big city(suburbs of Toronto) . I would HATE to live in the city (I'm a simple country boy) but I love working there because we(my station) are busy. You are in the Atlanta area--cool--been to Georgia a few times-I have relatives in Tifton. Thanks again.

Sounds familiar too, I may work in and around Atlanta (tandem dump truck), doesn't mean I have to live there :brows: Tifton, THATS out in the country, south Ga (but like everywhere else it's growing too)

I pulled the tires and rims for cleaning and getting new tires. Two on the m where really bad...one wouldn't hold air and both had major belts showing.

Got the car level and up on 4 jack stands for the next couple "issues. Tires, exhaust and brakes.

I got the rims removed, cleaned and dried off. Then shot them with a coat of graphite color rim paint I had left over from that set of Limited rims I painted two winters ago. Boy did they come out nice!! I mean I didn't really try to get them super prepped for paint, but they look new!!!

My local Pep Boys had a buy three get one free tire sale going on. I actually found a set in my size for $19.99!! Got all four mounted, balanced and ready to roll this afternoon. MAN are they TINY!!!! :eek: :eek:

I did all this while Riley was chillin...

Image Not Found

CW

Yea, but whats gonna happen when they go back UPHILL :brows: I usually seem to get better mileage going downhill into Florida from Georgia :dunno:

From Atlanta to Florida it's pretty much all "downhill". But technically speaking, Atlanta is at a higher elevation than Detroit. (~800 vs 600)

But anyway, the 33.3 is unofficial, but on the return trip on the flatter sections of Ohio we were getting 32.4 mpg. And that's with 3 adults, 2 dogs and a rack on the back of the Jeep. It's on the tail end of the oil change interval, so it might have been even better with some fresh 0w50. :D

Are u kiddin me? Depending on where the jobsite is that they send me and my dozer to, I drive my 82' vw rabbit convertible! 35 mpg! Just turned 104,000 miles. Known to go 300,000. Best 500 bucks I ever spent, and gotta admit,alot fun to drive too! jamminz.gif

Those are trip computer numbers. Typically they are a couple mpg higher than actual, but the only way to know for sure is with careful tabulation of each fillup, and there's little chance of that happening. :roll:

From Atlanta to Florida it's pretty much all "downhill". But technically speaking, Atlanta is at a higher elevation than Detroit. (~800 vs 600)

Hey Pete, I didn't know about the elevations, just tryin' to get ya to crack a smile :brows: I think I did just that jamminz.gif :D but if ya look at the map Detroit does sit "higher" than Atlanta :nuts:

I was reading on the net the other day the various prices folks pay around the world, Finland (I think) 9.50 a gallon, Germany 8.+, Saudi Arabia .45 cents a gallon (go figure, and after we set up the equipment they throw us out of the country years ago and keep jacking up the prices :headpop: )

Not meaning to brag or sound conceited...just want folks to understand where I am coming from and that I agree that the small car thing is right for anyone that chooses it :cheers: . We do drive the YJ or MJ on weekends for anything we need to do as they get better MPG than the truck. ;)

I wish I had your job. Or is there another trick?lol I have been in my house for almost three years now and it will be a very long time till it's paid off. you didn't come off conceited or bragging at all.

as for getting better mpg's I have toyed with getting my 79 yamaha xs 650 going again. but that means spending about $500 to get it running, plated, insured, and my liecense. I haven't driven the mj since gas started going up, and with the nicer weather. My recent purchase of the wrx, I have had to spend a little more on gas but it's still better than driving the mj as a dd.

I wish I had your job. Or is there another trick?lol I have been in my house for almost three years now and it will be a very long time till it's paid off. you didn't come off conceited or bragging at all.

My job sucks right now. I work at a Jeep dealerrship in the Parts Deptartment on commission. With things the way they are right now my income has dropped by $800 a month compared to last year. The price of gas...and everything else is taking it's toll. We have been in our house for 23 years and refinanced it twice in the last ten for lower rates. We also cut up all of our credit cards about 7-8 years ago, paid them all off and made a commitment to not own any credit cards again.

Don't mean to be off topic here, but this is how we are dealing with the "INSANE" gas prices instead of going to a little car ;) .