Got the donor - here's my plan-- 2wd renix to 4wd HO

twojeeps

i know there is a bunch already written on this topic, but any input is appreciated!! I have an 88 MJ 2wd and I just bought a 92 XJ that I will be using as the donor. Pretty straight forward in my mind, however I have never done more wrenching than insalling a lift on my CJ. here's the plan....

- Pull everything from under the hood on the MJ

- Pull everyting from underhood on the XJ and put all in the MJ

- Pull all dash, wiring and interior from MJ

- Install all dash wiring and dash from XJ to MJ

- Install front end from XJ to MJ

I plan to change water pump, thermostat, belt and radiator while engine is out.

I will be borrowing an engine hoist, but will be doing most of the work using hand tools.

Am I missing anything??

Thanks!

Get a digital camera and take LOTS of pics. Not necessarily for our enjoyment, but for keeping track of what you did and what goes where. Projects of this scope have a nasty habit of being delayed for various reasons and You'll need to be able to go back and finish it. Also, I highly recommend keeping a log of what you've done and maintaining a spreadsheet of what you need to do. Keeping everything well organized will pay off huge dividends in time and energy down the road. :cheers:

Also keep in mind that the gas level sending wires were flipped in polarity with the introduction of the H.O. and you'll need to switch them to make full mean full and empty mean empty.

Buy a bunch of sticky labels and use them to label both end of everything you disconnect.

Also, I know the Renix computer is different for automatic/manual as well as a bunch of other things (2wd/4wd?) Is the Chrysler system the same way?

Also, I know the Renix computer is different for automatic/manual as well as a bunch of other things (2wd/4wd?) Is the Chrysler system the same way?

I believe so.... I plan to take all that stuff from XJ to MJ.

on the note of driveshaft length, you can get a shop to shorten the one from your MJ, if you can't find the right one. is your truck a long or shot bed? (6 or 7 foot)?

There are a few driveshaft shops I have seen close by, that did slip my mind. Its a longbed.

Thanks for all the responses!