fun with turbos

Pete M

No, it's not what you were expecting. Our Libby CRD blew out a hole in the intercooler-to-intake hose and it's been all sorts of "fun". :( A big thanks to Chrysler for making hoses that can't withstand contact with oily residue. :mad: There's a company that's trying to get some oil-proof hoses to market, but apparently not soon enough for our particular Libby. I've got a lead on a used hose though, and maybe I won't have to pay the stealership $106 for something that should have been a freaking recall. sigh... Worst part is that this is taking time away from my repairing of the Grand Marquis that I'm driving 742 miles to Georgia next week. :headpop: grrrrrrr......

rant over. :rant: or is it? :roll:

You know for somebody running a Comanche web site, and using a Comanche as your avatar, I hear surprisingly little about your truck.

What ever happened to it? Or is it too sore of a topic to discuss?

You know for somebody running a Comanche web site, and using a Comanche as your avatar, I hear surprisingly little about your truck.

Ironic, no? :roll: Don't worry though, my 90 and 88 are waiting patiently in line. Problem is that other stuff keeps breaking and cutting in line ahead of them. :( But I've got a huge pile of parts and lots of plans. :D Someday I might actually get to them... :popcorn:

Ironic, no? :roll: Don't worry though, my 90 and 88 are waiting patiently in line. Problem is that other stuff keeps breaking and cutting in line ahead of them. :( But I've got a huge pile of parts and lots of plans. :D Someday I might actually get to them... :popcorn:

I can totally relate to what you said.

No, it's not what you were expecting. Our Libby CRD blew out a hole in the intercooler-to-intake hose and it's been all sorts of "fun". :( A big thanks to Chrysler for making hoses that can't withstand contact with oily residue. :mad: There's a company that's trying to get some oil-proof hoses to market, but apparently not soon enough for our particular Libby. I've got a lead on a used hose though, and maybe I won't have to pay the stealership $106 for something that should have been a freaking recall. sigh... Worst part is that this is taking time away from my repairing of the Grand Marquis that I'm driving 742 miles to Georgia next week. :headpop: grrrrrrr......

rant over. :rant: or is it? :roll:

Got to love when manufacturer's don't fix their screw ups. That's why I got rid of my 2000 Grand Am GT. even with the warranty that car was in the shop so much that it wasn't worth my trouble. I turned in that one at lease end. hopefully someone will make a better part. good luck with getting it fixed.

Update:

I "fixed" the busted hose with some plumbing stretchy tape, pipe hanging strap and a couple hose clamps. It should hold until I get a replacement. Also I got a hold of the guy with the used hose and he's giving it to me for only the shipping costs. :D Jeepers are awesome! I'm going to give him a CC magnet with the payment. :cheers:

Pete, If a hose holds gas it should be ok with contact with oil too, right? If so, check marine shops; I needed a hose for my filler tube on an old truck and nobody had one. Finally found some at a place that sold boats and marine supplies. Even had metal spiral thru the rubber to prevent collapse.

But will that fuel hose hold the pressure of the compressed air?

I appreciate it, but don't rack your brains over this too much guys. The hoses snake their way through the engine compartment and I'm certain that only an exact replacement will work.

This one isn't mine, but it's the same hose and a similar failure:

CAC_hose_failure1.jpg

I don't think it would work pete. I think it would hold the pressure but i don't think you would be able to shape it. I had to get it between the bed and the fram and it was very hard to flatten it down at all, nevermind bend it, due to it being ribbed and the metal spiraling thru the ribs.