lock replacement?

is this possible? the drivers side door lock is pretty much out of use, i tried getting into my truck last night, the lock was already screwed up, but it's life ended last night, i spent about two minutes trying to pull my key out it got stuck. can you take a lock from a cherokee almost identical to the lock of the mjs and swap the teeth from the original to the new one so the key is compatible with the lock?

and what do you need to do to get the lock out of the door?

I just replaced both my door locks last month. Just order a set from team cherokee. Two tips: The rubber washer they give didnt fit. I couldnt get the lock far enough in to get the retainer clip back on. Might want to pick up a little rtv incase you have the same problem.

There is a black rubber access plug on the side of the door. If you pop that out you can get a long screw driver in there and against the retaining clip. Hit the screw driver with a hammer to pop the retaining clip off. There isnt much room in there to pull them off and after 20 years they don't want to come off.

I picked up a set of replacement locks a couple months ago at the stealership. I forget what I paid but he re-keyed them for me at "NO Extra Charge". I had ordered one from work (O'Reilly Auto Parts) but it is the wrong part. I think the one they listed was for a FSJ

I took the opportunity to swap in a lockset from a 91+ XJ (chrysler single key design). Fit perfectly. Except to gain "single key" advantage you would to swap the ignition lock cylinder, which is a bit more involved (I did it for the first time in a long afternoon... probably could do it in an hour if I had to do it over).

Good luck.

- Ben

is this possible? the drivers side door lock is pretty much out of use, i tried getting into my truck last night, the lock was already screwed up, but it's life ended last night, i spent about two minutes trying to pull my key out it got stuck. can you take a lock from a cherokee almost identical to the lock of the mjs and swap the teeth from the original to the new one so the key is compatible with the lock?

and what do you need to do to get the lock out of the door?

i will look around to see what i can find. i would prefer not to have to replace my key because i already made two copies of the door key and ignition key.

so at the moment i am unlocking the passenger side, reaching across to unlock the drivers side and going around.

I'm not sure what all is involved in rekeying a lock cylinder... but for me it was the cheapest option just to go to the Junk yard and get an XJ/MJ lockset for $5 and get new replacement keys made, rather then try and rekey the cylinders to match the key I already had.

Just my two cents.

- Ben

i will look around to see what i can find. i would prefer not to have to replace my key because i already made two copies of the door key and ignition key.

so at the moment i am unlocking the passenger side, reaching across to unlock the drivers side and going around.

You can't use the ignition key for the doors on the early, two-key vehicles.

I thought you could, too. I even had a so-called locksmith tell me he could do it, but I wasn't comfortable with the way he said it. Awhile later I was buying some locksets for the house from a REAL locksmith, so I asked him. He said the door keys use 5 tumblers and the ignition keys use 6 tumblers. They keys are the same length, so the pin spacing is different. He said he might be able to make an ignition key work in the door, but he'd never be able to make a door key work the ignition. And IF he got the ignition key to work the door, he guaranteed it would wear out the key and the locks within 6 months.

I'll keep muddling along with my two keys ...