Computer Parts? Calling all geeks

Eagle

Guys, I need some help.

The church my wife and I attend is in a nearby city and has several outreach programs to help the poor, including a daily soup kitchen. One of the assistant pastors recently mentioned they they would like to be able to make some computers available to kids in families that can't afford to buy them.

At about the same time, I heard that the town where I work part-time was going to be clearing out the attic of Town Hall, and dumping several old computers. I mentioned the church to the system adminstrator, she mentioned it to the Board of Selectman, and I received an e-mail telling me that I could have the stufff if it was gone within a week.

Two and half Cherokee loads later, here I am. I have more monitors than I can possibly deal with. Tons of keyboards, and lots and lots of mice. I've already scrapped two OLD computers that were 486 processors and wouldn't have a prayer of keeping up with even Windows 98, let alone 2000 or XP.

I'm playing musical DIMMs to try to get a few boxes that run and that have enough memory to make it even worthwhile turning them on. It appears I'll possibly end up with maybe four, possibly five boxes to turn over to the church when I'm all done. I took the first up last week, and I'll deliver the second Monday or Tuesday.

The problem is that I'm way short on modems. The town's computers were all on a network. Most of the boxes had network cards, but I can't be sure these low-income families will have access to DSL. Probably most will have cable TV, but I don't know if that connects through a standard network adapter. What I'd like to be able to do is have every box set up with both a network card and a plain-vanilla old dial-up modem.

So ... does anyone have their old PCI modem card sitting in a desk drawer or on a closet shelf somewhere? If so, how would you like to send it along for on of Saint John's Church computer outreach boxes?

Thanks in advance, guys. Please drop me a PM if you have anything.

Guys, I need some help.

The church my wife and I attend is in a nearby city and has several outreach programs to help the poor, including a daily soup kitchen. One of the assistant pastors recently mentioned they they would like to be able to make some computers available to kids in families that can't afford to buy them.

At about the same time, I heard that the town where I work part-time was going to be clearing out the attic of Town Hall, and dumping several old computers. I mentioned the church to the system adminstrator, she mentioned it to the Board of Selectman, and I received an e-mail telling me that I could have the stufff if it was gone within a week.

Two and half Cherokee loads later, here I am. I have more monitors than I can possibly deal with. Tons of keyboards, and lots and lots of mice. I've already scrapped two OLD computers that were 486 processors and wouldn't have a prayer of keeping up with even Windows 98, let alone 2000 or XP.

I'm playing musical DIMMs to try to get a few boxes that run and that have enough memory to make it even worthwhile turning them on. It appears I'll possibly end up with maybe four, possibly five boxes to turn over to the church when I'm all done. I took the first up last week, and I'll deliver the second Monday or Tuesday.

The problem is that I'm way short on modems. The town's computers were all on a network. Most of the boxes had network cards, but I can't be sure these low-income families will have access to DSL. Probably most will have cable TV, but I don't know if that connects through a standard network adapter. What I'd like to be able to do is have every box set up with both a network card and a plain-vanilla old dial-up modem.

So ... does anyone have their old PCI modem card sitting in a desk drawer or on a closet shelf somewhere? If so, how would you like to send it along for on of Saint John's Church computer outreach boxes?

Thanks in advance, guys. Please drop me a PM if you have anything.

I"m pretty sure I have one sitting at my desk @ work... if you don't have some stuff setup by Monday, let me know... need anything else?

I think a couple of modems is all I'm lacking. I have video cards, I have network cards, and I have a few assorted DIMMs. Fortunately, all these boxes (except the 486s) seem to be of similar vintage and they all use the same DIMM configuration, so scavanging and cannibalizing are proceeding apace.

I don't have any PCI modems, but I have a few parts sitting around if you run across a need for any of this.

160gb Western Digital HD (7200 RPM) - I was going to put this on eBay as it is Brand New. Tried to install it and found the mother board was bad. I will be happy to donate it if needed.

1 - DVD drive

1 - CD/RW ROM drive

1 - Network card

1 - DDR333 Ram 512mb

1 - SDRAM DDR 256mb

1 - 9 card reader

Do you need PCI modems, or do you have some ISA slots available as well?

I have about 50 or 60 modems laying around, all ISA. Most are 2400, but I'm sure if I sort through them I have a few 14400 and 28800s around. May have one or two 33600s, but not sure about that. Just need to find the box in the basement.

Mostly leftovers from a multi line BBS I used to run in college.

Do you need PCI modems, or do you have some ISA slots available as well?

I have about 50 or 60 modems laying around, all ISA. Most are 2400, but I'm sure if I sort through them I have a few 14400 and 28800s around. May have one or two 33500s, but not sure about that. Just need to find the box in the basement.

Mostly leftovers from a multi line BBS I used to run in college.

I'll have to poke into the other boxes. The two I have open at the moment only have PCI slots. The 486s had some ISA, of course, but they were too old to be worth the effort it would have required to check them out.

Brent, what type is that WD hard drive? What's the older type, EIDE? If it's that, I'm interested. The newer type (SATA?) won't work. These machines are too old.

I've got a couple PCI modems (NIB) if you want them, and I think I even have an external one, if you have a spare COM port on one of them and can use it. Lemme know and I'll send them yer way....

Jeff