will xj gas tank fit in my mj?

No, and XJ tank will not fit without a custom setup.

Adam, what makes them differnt that they don't fit? Looking at measurements on Ebay it looked like they were the same height and width, or close to it. The only differnce I could see was the lengths were differnt and the position of the hole for the fuel pump.

MJ tank is more of a rectangle... Longer and taller. Where as a xj tank is kinda squareish. Also the xj tank slopes up in the rear. I think the issue with fitting one would be the width, and how close it would be to the driveshaft.

Doesn't an XJ tank mount crossways behind the rear axle? Might it be possible to mount it like that in a Comanche? Use it as a secondary gas tank?

Where?

An XJ gas tank isn't a small item. There's no room on the left side, the drive shaft runs down the middle and the exhaust system takes up the right side.

Doesn't an XJ tank mount crossways behind the rear axle? Might it be possible to mount it like that in a Comanche? Use it as a secondary gas tank?

Where?

An XJ gas tank isn't a small item. There's no room on the left side, the drive shaft runs down the middle and the exhaust system takes up the right side.

Behind the rear axle, where the spare tire is supposed to go.

You ever wheel your MJ? If so you will know why. If you don't wheel it.. I guess you could put it back there, but it would change you whole weight distribution, and probably sag your springs even faster, being where the weight would be

Haven't wheeled it yet besides playing in my favorite mud puddle on an area township road. About 20 feet long, 2 feet deep.

Will be going to Badlands in July, though.

But I didn't mean I was going to do it. It was just a suggestion for a possibility. I don't even have my spare tire down there; it's sliding around in my bed.

My Suburban has the gas tank located there (42 gallon tank!), but I's a lot higher in the back, and has a monster skid plate covering it. That skid plate has saved it many times, as has the trailer hitch that sits just a little lower.

Even without a spare tire hanging back there, the frame makes a big 'X' behind/above the axle. I don't think an XJ gas tank would fit up into the space, so I think it would have to mount entirely below the frame. VERY susceptible to damage. Even if the top would fit inside the 'X' the XJ tank is deep and would hang down a lot lower than a spare tire.

It's a possible solution for street use but not a good idea for off-road.