TPS!!!

ok, ive been out checking the other xjs and they seem to start up and immediatly go to normal idle. mine (has always) starts up and revs a little bit b4 immediatly calming down, i didnt realize this wasnt normal until it was getting stuck at the high idle. So is it normal with the Renix, or no?

135, i actually didnt get a chance to mess with it b/c i had to leave the house again and didnt have enough time to let it cool again. more tonight, its parked and ready in an hour or so.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddies 90 4.0 does the same thing. Starts and goes immediately to 2k for maybe a split second, and settles right down to a nice smooth 750 rpm idle. Is it normal, I don't know? I guess if its not, and both of our rigs do it, we have the same problem..haha.

I don't think its out of the ordinary myself. Truck idles and runs great the way it is. Doesnt do that high idle crap anymore when it would rev to 3k and get stuck there!

yeah, you'll have to be Johnny on the spot with the new one, which is going to be really hard to do with the way that sensor is tucked up in there. I'd just expect to have some coolant loss, and be ready with the new one asap!

Let me know cause I am picking up the MAP, MAT and CTS after work....that will complete every vital sensor there is in the truck for me! The MAP and MAT are right next to eachother on top of the motor, right?

I swear that sticking at high idle like you describe, and like what I had is your IAC sticking, cause its only once a week, just like mine was. If there was a vacuum leak, it wouldnt be intermittent it would always leak. I also, just FYI tuned my TPS last night and that helped with drivability and smoothness. Shouldnt have anything to do with the problem, just thought I would let you know that too as we both seem to be on the quest of replacing sensors! haha....and the TPS is sensitive. Gotta be 5 volt supply w ignition on, and .8 at idle. Mine read, AFTER tuning 4.99 and .80

I think the MAP plugs in on the firewall, just like that site shows, but I think the sensor itself is in the top of the manifold, just like the mat sensor. I thought I saw both of them the other day toward the back on top of the intake manifold

I think the MAP plugs in on the firewall, just like that site shows, but I think the sensor itself is in the top of the manifold, just like the mat sensor. I thought I saw both of them the other day toward the back on top of the intake manifold

The sensor itself is the one on the firewall. A long tube runs from it to the bottom of the throttle body and it plugs into the wiring harness close to the last fuel injector if you have a I6.

Do you guys want a copy of the RENIX manual? It shows where all the sensors are located and how to test them and adjust the TPS. Just pm with an e-mail address and state RENIX in the message. It's only a 1.5Mb file.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
talked to a mechanic this afternoon about my problem, he seems to think that the problem is in the wiring to the IAC motor. thats the next thing to check.

Yeah, I really do think it has something to do with your IAC one way or another.

Just FYI, I have now replaced every single renix sensor in the MJ. The MAP, MAT, CTS, O2, CPS, Knock, EGR, IAC and TPS ...pretty much everything from that site the guy posted with all the sensors and what their function is.

I know you picked up a CTS recently and just wanted to let you know if you have not had the pleasure of putting it in yet..DO IT FROM THE TOP of the motor...not beneath. Just yank your airbox out and you can get to it much easier and actually see the darn thing!.....and you won't get a nice douche of coolant when you get it out, like you would if you were doing it from the ground :)