backfiring between shifting gears

How many miles are on the oxygen sensor? If it's old, it doesn't react as fast as it should to throttle changes, so if you're running rich to accelerate and then take your foot off the peddle, it still sends a rich mix to the engine but the engine doesn't need it -- so it dumps some unbruned gas down the exhaust and it backfires when that hits the catalytic converter.

I'll bet your gas mileage is sub-standard, too. Replacing that O2 sensor should fix the backfire and improve the gas mileage.

Which Plugs did you install???

You might want to re-view this-

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... park+plugs

Also change the distributor cap and rotor, and install new wires.

You could have a 'mis-fire' in one cylinder causing the un-burned fuel going into the exhaust, causing the back fire. You could have a plug wire not tight on the plug. Good chance your only running on 5 cylinders.

I don't mean to hijack, but my mj does the same thing. I figured it was because of the fact that I don't have a cat. I have new wires, cap, and rotor. my plugs were new untill i blew a head gasket. since that I haven't replaced them though. so maybe my issue could just be plugs?

I don't mean to hijack, but my mj does the same thing. I figured it was because of the fact that I don't have a cat. I have new wires, cap, and rotor. my plugs were new untill i blew a head gasket. since that I haven't replaced them though. so maybe my issue could just be plugs?

It's definitely not your cat or lack thereof. Below is the "cat" I've been running for years. There was a similar problem a member of the strokers forum was having with his 96 XJ. His problem turned out to be a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Image Not Found

I replaced crappy Bosch plugs that the previous owner had in there with just stock Champions. I heard they are the best to run and thats when it started backfiring. It does run alot better with better response, but its just a little pop...nothing really extreme I just want it fixed. I don't think the cat is bad, the only thing I can think of is the rotor. I cleaned the contacts on the distributor so I really don't know.