odometer rollback

OK. First of all I know it's illegal. But I just got a cluster with a tach (which mine was missing) but my odometer only has 59K miles on it and the new one has 200k miles on it. I remember reading a 'how to' somewhere. I searched but couldn't find it. Has anyone seen it and know where it is? Thanks

I found the info.....Thanks

could you PM it to me please.

My old speedo is different from my new one and theres over 200k difference between the two.

How are they different? Are they from the same year?

If the way the speedo cable attaches is different, you may have no choice. You may HAVE to use the old speedo.

Photos would help -- front and back of both clusters.

djag12 -- You should be able to just put your old speedo in the "new" cluster. The gotcha is that the base models with idiot lights also don't have a trip odometer in the speedo, and most folks doing the cluster swap want the trip odometer. If your cluster has gauges but just has the big fuel gauge where the tach should go, then you already have a trip odometer and you can swap the speedo into the new cluster.

RamRod, we need to know more about what year your MJ is, what cluster it has, and what year and model your replacement cluster is. Those articles on NAXJA are about rolling back the odometer, but there's no need to do that if you can simple swap the speedometers. Plus, if you keep the original speedo in the vehicle (even in a new cluster) then there are no legal ramifications, because the speedometer hasn't been tampered with. There's no law prohibiting replacement of oil pressure and temperature gauges.

Ive been wanted to do this also (my 88 has a giant fuel gauge and no tach) can I just buy one off of ebay and swap it straight up and if I can how to I add the wiring for the tach?

The tach wiring is all in place -- it's straight plug-n-play. You just have to be sure to get the right cluster for your year.

You canNOT just add a tach to your cluster. The printed circuit on the back is different. You will need the complete cluster, even though you already have the other gauges. What it means, though, is that you would not need to replace your temperature and oil pressure senders.