MJ wont start

Well I decided to test the MJ some more & now it won't start. I was up on the high wall beside my house playin around & it decided to quit running. When I turn the key I get nothing. The battery has charge cause everything still works but the key won't start it. What ever it is I know its in the ignition somewhere. Maybe the silenoid, ignition module or starter......Anyone have an ideas???????????????

I've had plenty of no-cranks that were fixed by cleaning up the battery terminals and cables with a terminal brush or steel wool. :D

Terminals & cables are tight & clean, could it have something to do with the neutral saftey switch, cause last week it did the same thing only in park. When I shifted it into neutral it fired right up. Right now it won't start in either 1.

My MJ15 won't start with the battery that's in there either, but when I pull the one out of Baby, it fires right up. I know the battery was good before I parked it, so I'm just gonna end up getting a new battery and having the old one looked over.

When I turn the key I get nothing. The battery has charge cause everything still works but the key won't start it. What ever it is I know its in the ignition somewhere. Maybe the silenoid, ignition module or starter......Anyone have an ideas???????????????

The starter is not part of the ignition system. A bad ignition module won't cause it to not turn over.

You need to test to find out if you are getting power to the starter solenoid when you turn the key. If not, your problem is the ignition switch, or the neutral safety switch. Since you already had a problem with that, I would begin there. Try hot-wiring past the NSS and then see if the starter will turn over.

I just got back front trying it again with some gas in a pop bottle. Jumping the starter makes the motor turn over. & priming it got the motor to fire once. I'm going to take my wife with me next time to hit the gas when I jump the starter again.

I'm begining to think maybe the the starter or silenoid is bad......What do you think so far????

I always knew my lovely wife was good luck. I took her with me & we got it to start the first try..... Then I scared the hell out of her coming off the high Wall.....

Another development is the fact that it starts with the key again. Crazy jeeps & there crazy parts......What ever the problem is I definately need to get that fixed 1st....

you did say it died in gear right? if it died and wouldn't start back up i don't see that being NSS related, cause once it fires the NSS does nothing right?

Correct.

Swamper -- Is this the '86 MJ listed in your signature? Which engine does it have, the 2.5L 4-cylinder (which is throttle body injected) or the 2.8L V6 (which is carbureted, with a POS of a carburetor)? You may have more than one problem, or you may just not be describing the symptoms very well. It would help to know what engine/tranny combination we're dealing with. It would also help to know how it died -- you mentioned bringing gas out -- did you run out of gas while you were playing around out there?

Swamper -- Is this the '86 MJ listed in your signature? Which engine does it have, the 2.5L 4-cylinder (which is throttle body injected) or the 2.8L V6 (which is carbureted, with a POS of a carburetor)? You may have more than one problem, or you may just not be describing the symptoms very well. It would help to know what engine/tranny combination we're dealing with.It would also help to know how it died -- you mentioned bringing gas out -- did you run out of gas while you were playing around out there?

its got the 2.5 4 banger with a 3 speed auto. it has a full tank of gas & when it quit running I was in reverse. The motor would not turn over with the key. To get it home I used a screwdriver & touched the 2 open terminals on the starter to bypass the starter relay. Once I got it home I shut it off. Then I tried to start it with the key again. it fired right up.

I think I got it narrowed down to the starter relay. I ordered one at napa & it should be good to go tomorrow.

Do you all, agree with this diagnosis???