Anyone ever patch a tire sidewall -- successfully?

Eagle

My brother found an almost new 30x9.50 Michelin tire on a Jeep alloy rim at his town's transfer station, so he snagged it and gave it to me. The rim is in good shape, and I can certainly use that.

The tire looks to have virtually no wear on it, but there's a puncture in the sidewall. I had Pep Boys dismount it for me today and I'll check it out under some bright light tomorrow. So far, it appears to be more of a puncture than a slice. I know it's illegal for a shop to put a patch on a sidewall, but that's just what I'm thinking of doing. I wouldn't use it as a highway tire, but it might be suitable for a spare.

I bought a truck tire patch that has a 2-ply, cord-reinforced patch. What are my chances of that holding -- or should I apply the patch and then find an inner tube for a belt-and-suspenders repair?

I have 4 brand newish tires in my barn off of my bro's jeep. someone stabbed the tires...I fixed them (plugged) and they hold air. but that's about it. I wouldn't take them on highway, or use them as spares. they're just good to me to toss on a vehicle if it's gonna sit here awhile and I take the rims off it (nice alloys, etc).

chances are that tire was punctured as a defect or something, I probably wouldn't use it.

I keep a number of different patched and cords for repairing tires out on the trail. If you talking about just a hole, say no bigger the 1/2". I would say a patch with a center "spike" would suit you very nicely.

I have used these for a couple tires that where punctured and all live on today. You can get them at Pep boys, Auto Zone and like places.

Good luck,

CW

I keep a number of different patched and cords for repairing tires out on the trail. If you talking about just a hole, say no bigger the 1/2". I would say a patch with a center "spike" would suit you very nicely.

I have used these for a couple tires that where punctured and all live on today. You can get them at Pep boys, Auto Zone and like places.

Good luck,

CW

Get a plug patch made by TECH from your local tire store. Scuff the sidewall up and clean it with some brake clean. I like the old school flamable glue, I apply some to the tire, light it, blow it out, pull the plug patch in and do a good job of rolling it on to get the air out. It has worked for be without a problem on 4 tires I used offroad and to get to the trail. One tire had 7 plug patches in it. I had to add air about once a month...

Do I recommend it.... No.

If you talking about just a hole, say no bigger the 1/2". I would say a patch with a center "spike" would suit you very nicely.

CW, the hole is definitely smaller than 1/2". In fact, it's hardly a "hole" at all, you have to look a bit to even see it on the outside, and it's virtually invisible on the inside. I was in Pep Boys while they dismounted it for me. That's where I bought the truck patch kit I just got, but it doesn't have any spike in the center of the patch. I didn't see anything like that.

BTW -- Pep Boys used to sell inner tubes, but today I couldn't find any and the drone I asked said "Not since I've been working here." Did they stop selling them? If so, where can I buy a tube for a 30x9.50R15?

don't know the law in Conn., but take it to, or call, a commercial tire dealer, i.e. large truck tires, and see if they could do it. When I managed a commercial fleet in PA, we could do sidewall patches but they had to put a trianglular piece of rubber over top of it on the outside to identify it for the DOT man.