Fixing Rusted Out Metal on Side of Bed

The spot in the red circle is almost 100% Bondo. It doesn't look horrible in the photo, but its pretty wavy and starting to chip and crumble out. I would just re-do the Bondo, but there is no metal left underneath. So, I'm thinking about cutting at the line and welding in new metal. Ideally, I would find a nice rust-free MJ bed to cut the patch out of, but that could be difficult. So, a couple questions:

Has anyone ever done this before?

Do you think sheet metal could be bent nicely enough to look stock?

Does anyone have a rust and dent free bed that they can chop up and ship me what I need :brows:

Bed.JPG

You could find a box good enough to cut out the peice you need not nessasarily a rust free one, no one would want to allow that. But I'd say just cut a peiece out from a cherokee, from the door or rear quarter, then weld her in and go from there. Sheet metal could work as well. Buddy of mine just replaced a peice in his rockers and you can't tell the difference.

I would just cut 1" out side the rust area for your peice.

I had a fun time with the big gaping rust hole on my passenger bed wheel well. we cut it out and then proceded to fill it with "Great stuff" expand foam. lol It actually worked very well for a backing. here are some pics of the process.

2619663_6.jpg

2619663_15.jpg

There are some lower door skin repair pieces ending on ebay this weekend. $10 + $14 shipping. You guys are going to hear it about using that foam. It does adhere very well to everything but some have had experience where it held moisture and rusts more. In the housing business I've see a demostration where a simulated roof leak goes right through it. They called it open cell but my understanding is that would be closed cell. A sponge is a good example of open cell and definitely not desireable. You rear fender repair should be able to drain so it might not be a problem.

XJ doors is a good idea, but I don't think it will work. The door metal is shorter because it stops above the rockers. The bed metal extends all the way down and even wraps under a bit. I could take a piece from the rear panel of an XJ, but I'm pretty sure that section isn't wide enough.

I think my best bet is to find an MJ bed in decent enough shape and cut out a patch.

How about bending sheet metal to fit .... has anyone ever done that?

Somebody already said they made their own, just need a way to make staight bends. Yes the doorskins are a bit short but adding an extension could be done. It always bugs me that pickups have all that sheet metal doing nothing. Consider putting a toolbox or some kind of storage there. Certain Chevys/GMC had an access door.

Why do you need to replace so much? looks like good metal you are replacing.

I suppose I could move the cut line down a bit. The pic doesn't look too bad, but almost everything below the bend is 100% Bondo.

Why do you need to replace so much? looks like good metal you are replacing.

I suppose I could move the cut line down a bit. The pic doesn't look too bad, but almost everything below the bend is 100% Bondo.

Not like you can't cut two pieces and put together side by side to get your width. But if you can get assess to a brake then get some sheet metal and bend a section up.