Newbie Question

Well i got my ccv parts from the dealership today (for a 1991 4.0L HO). All ready to install them. I would like to pull my vc off to clean and paint her.

My question is, do i need a new gasket or can i use the old one? THe reason i'm asking is the dealership doesn't sell gaskets for the vc. I was told that they were "Intergrated" into the head???? And the part guy then proceded to try and sell me a new vc for 300$.

Is there aftermark gaskets i can get from a part place like NAPA. I would like to stay away from the gasket maker in a tube stuff.

Any help would be apreciated

Cheers,

P.S. got totaly ripped off on the ccv parts, but their the only ones who got them.

Front ccv fitting 16$

front tube 8$

Rear ccv fitting 18$

rear tubes 28$

total 65$ plus tax

o ya and they wanted to charge me 79$ for the new higher flow manifold fitting (2000 xj). For that price i'll try and make the old one work.

Well i got my ccv parts from the dealership today (for a 1991 4.0L HO). All ready to install them. I would like to pull my vc off to clean and paint her.

My question is, do i need a new gasket or can i use the old one? THe reason i'm asking is the dealership doesn't sell gaskets for the vc. I was told that they were "Intergrated" into the head???? And the part guy then proceded to try and sell me a new vc for 300$.

Is there aftermark gaskets i can get from a part place like NAPA. I would like to stay away from the gasket maker in a tube stuff.

Any help would be apreciated

Cheers,

P.S. got totaly ripped off on the ccv parts, but their the only ones who got them.

Front ccv fitting 16$

front tube 8$

Rear ccv fitting 18$

rear tubes 28$

total 65$ plus tax

o ya and they wanted to charge me 79$ for the new higher flow manifold fitting (2000 xj). For that price i'll try and make the old one work.

lol you got a good deal! I just bought the front ccv hose that snaps into the hose that goes into the air filter box for 45+- a buck... and going to buy the other side soon.. I think its like 48 or something.. the rear line was 16..

Or at Advance Auto Parts for $5.08

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList ... ver+Gasket

But use RTV on both sides of the gasket ;)

And from what others have said, the CCV parts at Napa are about the same price as you paid at the dealers.

Exactly right Bob-man. Always check the dealer prices first, they often surprise you. And if they are 10% more, it's a no-brianer. :cheers:

lol you got a good deal! I just bought the front ccv hose that snaps into the hose that goes into the air filter box for 45+- a buck... and going to buy the other side soon.. I think its like 48 or something.. the rear line was 16..

Oopps i gues i got no right to complain then :) lol. I was a little bumbed about the prices because of the numbers i got off this web site:

www.mopar-parts-dealer.com

53030492 $4.50 $0.00 $3.60

TUBE W/FITTING ASSY

53006239 $8.00 $0.00 $6.40

TUBE CCV TO AIR CLEA

53030591 $3.10 $0.00 $2.48

TUBE W/FITTING ASSY

53030726 $11.85 $0.00 $9.48

HARNESS A ASSY - VAC

I just checked with Auto Value here and they stock; FEL-PRO and PARTS MASTER/ROL vc gaskets. Any opinions between the brands? I also remeber seeing cork gaskets at Candian Tire hmmm, only a 15min walk from my place.

I'll be sure to put some rtv between the gasket and the mateing surfaces to.

THANX for all the help, and quick replies.