Fuel injector leaking

This is the solution to your issue. See my post here... http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... t=injector

No special tools required...just a little patience and paying attention to what you are doing. A ratchet, extension, socket, small screw driver and maybe a small pry bar to pull the rail off is all you should need. You will likely want to get the fuel line connector repair kits with the orings if you take the lines off like I did ;) .

I sent mine off to www.cruzinperformance.com and they cleaned and calibrated them for about $15 each with new seals.

They always give you the "before" and "after" numbers.

He has done about 5 or 6 sets for me over the past few years and always does a great job.

That's not bad, but when you can have a better performing injector (Ford Motorsport) for virtually the same money, why would you want to just clean and reuse the same old stock ones. I have seen a 16% increase in MPG with changing to the new injectors from Precision as of the last fill up two days ago. I went from 14.5 to 17.25 ... :cheers:

Oh...BTW....Just an FYI, but there is no such thing as "calibrating" an injector. An injector is a very simple piece of equipment that is bacically a little tube with a spring, solenoid & piston that open & close when electrically pulsed ;) .

This is a good illustration...

Are they hard to change, screw out, any special tools required? Should I look for a Mopar one?
Thanks for the replies, I suppose if i change one the others should be changed? Anyone know the dealer prices?
you can just replace the o rings on the old ones that are not leaking

but they just slip in the hole, so no screwing necessary

Which Ford Motorsports fuel injectors are you talking about? I have the I6 4.0L.
Check the link in my first post ;) .

Thanks for the replies, I suppose if i change one the others should be changed? Anyone know the dealer prices?
I work at a Jeep dealership in the parts dept. New injectors sell for $69 - $99 EACH :nuts: .

calibrated means : flow tested, ultrasonically cleaned, resealed and flow tested again
That is not calibrated though. If you start with 6 injectors that are not "flow matched", you are still going to have 6 injectors that are not "flow matched" after they are all cleaned up ;) ...therefore, not calibrated.

When my fuel injectors come back they supply a testing document that indicates the before and after cleaning testing they perfomred. This one is off a buddy's 78 VW bus with a bad O ring on injectors #4 using 25 year old factory Bosch injectors.

His bus sat for a number of years and in the air cooled VWs they tend to get munged up pretty at the tips and in the spray pattern due to the high cylinder head temperatures they run. His were not really very bad, but you do not know until you see the numbers.

Calibration is probably the wrong term but th eide is for them to spray well and flow about the same rate after cleaning.

Test pressure = 43.5 psi

Test 1. Injector Resistance

#1=2.5 #2=2.5#3=2.6 #4=2.5

Test 2. Leak Down Test (Pass / Fail)

#1=P #2=P #3=P #4F <- o-ring failure

Test 3. Spray Pattern (Good / Fair / Poor)

#1=F #2=F #3=F #4F

Test 4. 90 Second Pulsed Flow Delivery (mL)

#1=76 #2=75 #3=77 #4=75

Test 5. 100mL Pulsed Volume

#1=99 #2=98 #3=100 #4=97

Test 6. 20 Second Static Flow (mL)

#1=74 #2=74 #3=76 #4=74

Test 7. 100mL Static Flow

#1=97 #2=97 #3=100 #4=97

Test 8a. Injector Coil Test - On

#1=5.9 #2=5.89 #3=6.01 #4=5.95

Test 8b. Injector Coil Test - Off

#1=6.2 #2=6.19 #3=6.32 #4=6.24

Test Results After Service

--------------------------

Test pressure = 43.5 psi

Test 1. Leak Down Test (Pass / Fail)

#1=P #2=P #3=P #4=P

Test 2. Spray Pattern (Good / Fair / Poor)

#1=G #2=G #3=G #4=G

Test 3. 90 Second Pulsed Flow Delivery (mL)

#1=79 #2=77.5 #3=78 #4=78

Test 4. 100mL Pulsed Volume

#1=100 #2=98 #3=99 #4=99

Test 5. 20 Second Static Flow (mL)

#1=75.5 #2=75.5 #3=76 #4=75.5

Test 6. 100mL Static Flow

#1=99 #2=99 #3=100 #4=99

Approximate pound-per-hour flow

#1=19.37 #2=19.37 #3=19.5 #4=19.37

I would certainly consider using those Ford 19 pounds injectors if they were pretty well documented what the flow rates are.

Signs to look for seal leakage include obvious dripping on the outside, fouled plugs, poor mileage, inability to maintain adequate residual fuel pressure in the fuel rail, a vacuum leak at the leak, adn poor starting/rough idle.

I would certainly consider using those Ford 19 pounds injectors if they were pretty well documented what the flow rates are.

He supplies a flow chart with them. They are all flow matched to within 1%. Now...his flow chart is not as detailed as what you have shown, but I'm sure he could do that if needed.

How does one know if a fuel injector is leaking? Can they leak internally without any visible sign on the outside?
If it is external...obviously you will see it, but yes...they can leak internally which means that they will allow whatever fuel is in them to leak in to the cylinder and pump that extra raw fuel out the exhaust when you start the engine as well as allowing too much fuel to go through while running causing a rich burn and potential problems with the catalytic converter and to those that must have emissions testing done ;) . Obvously it will be detrimental to MPG as well.

Excellent advice above plus you can "see" the richness if you have a wideband exhaust gas analyzer (I use a LM-1), but you will not know which cylinder it is coming from.
Correct...that is why it is a good idea to replace all of the injectors together with a flow matched set. :cheers:

Which Ford Motorsports fuel injectors are you talking about? I have the I6 4.0L.
Check the link in my first post ;) .

Blhtaz: Can you look up part numbers for the injector O rings, Chilton has a part number that includes O rings for all the injectors and the the fuel pressure regulator(6brown&7black seals)don't know how accurate that is?Can you just buy the O rings for the injectors?

I work at a Jeep dealership in the parts dept. New injectors sell for $69 - $99 EACH :nuts: .

calibrated means : flow tested, ultrasonically cleaned, resealed and flow tested again
That is not calibrated though. If you start with 6 injectors that are not "flow matched", you are still going to have 6 injectors that are not "flow matched" after they are all cleaned up ;) ...therefore, not calibrated.

The injector o-rings are in a set, but they are all Black now...the brown have been done away with.

Chrysler part number on the package is 83503637. List price on them it $15.50. On something this small it's not likely worth it, but I could ship them to you for "about" $11.50 including tax & shipping.