Drip rail covers.

They kind of just "pop" off. I did it by twisting from the bottom up and rolling it off the rail.

Be careful, I'm sure they will bend... However, it did take a little force and some strong fingers to make it happen.

Maybe "pop" wasn't the right word. I agree it did take some force. I thought rolling from the bottom and pushing up at the same time worked quite well.

i did try that, but found that working on one end was easier. one of those things that there are 10 different ways of doing i guess :D

they did go on easier than taking them off :roll:

DEFINITELY went back on easier. What did you do to protect the paint when you put them back on... you know how it is up here in the rust belt, you've gotta protect everything. I tried coating the little clip things with some white lithium grease to help it slide back on without chipping the paint... I think it worked OK.

DEFINITELY went back on easier. What did you do to protect the paint when you put them back on... you know how it is up here in the rust belt, you've gotta protect everything. I tried coating the little clip things with some white lithium grease to help it slide back on without chipping the paint... I think it worked OK.

nothing :roll:

my truck doesn't see salt anymore (got a stupid little car for that) so i shouldn't have to worry about rust anymore.

I was torquing them and remembered Hornbrods daddy telling him,, If it doesnt go easy don't force it, so I just walked away.. I'll try to pop them off with a putty knife or something..

or you could go by a different motto...if it doesn't fit, force it. if it breaks, then it needed to be replaced anyways.

Well I guess I'm not getting new ones... They have them still, (A dealer in Milwaukee (go figure :roll: huh) had 14 of the left and 4 for the right..) but for 80+ bucks for the drivers side and 70+ for the passengers,,, I think I'll pass, and just be extra careful taking the old ones off ...

Now wait a minute. 14 lefts and 4 rights? No wonder, they are $10 cheaper. Or are the lefts harder to make, ship, store? So make sure you hit the right side, it's cheaper. Is this another WI deal?

Now wait a minute. 14 lefts and 4 rights? No wonder, they are $10 cheaper. Or are the lefts harder to make, ship, store? So make sure you hit the right side, it's cheaper. Is this another WI deal?

Yeah thats why their trucks are so cheap! All the parts are there... supply and demand! Actually I think.... the lefts were 80 and only 4 left,,, I have dyslexia so I could have mixed it all up... :nuts:

Well I guess I'm not getting new ones... They have them still, (A dealer in Milwaukee (go figure :roll: huh) had 14 of the left and 4 for the right..) but for 80+ bucks for the drivers side and 70+ for the passengers,,, I think I'll pass, and just be extra careful taking the old ones off ...

There's a trim tool available. It's the one that looks like an directional arrow on a handle. This tool is also used for windshield trim clips. You just hook the edge and pull gently and use the tool as a reaction arm to roll the cover off. Use your free hand to keep the cover from floping around and bending but keep gentle pressure on it to help it roll off drip rail. I f you don't have this tool one can be made from an old metal kitchen fork. The reason the factory tool has an arrow head shape is so left handed and right handed people can use it when they switch from the right to left of the vehicle sides. To make the fork tool you cut off both outside fork stays at an angle toward the inner stays leaving about 3/32" of the stay on the inside, where the cut out between the stays are. Next cut the inner stay off leaving it 3/16" long. Repeat on the other side of the fork and now you have a right and left sided drip rail cover remover tool. You just use the smaller outside edge to pick the cover loose at the front and use the longer inner stay to help guide and roll the cover off. Stop at the bend in the roof where the side and back of the cab join. Then get in the bed and remove the center joint cover and follow the same process from the center to the side but now you can pull the trim cover off. This just keeps it from losing it's form or kinking. Repeat on the other side using the opposite side of the tool and you done. As was said back on is EZ.

There's a trim tool available. It's the one that looks like an directional arrow on a handle. This tool is also used for windshield trim clips. You just hook the edge and pull gently and use the tool as a reaction arm to roll the cover off. Use your free hand to keep the cover from floping around and bending but keep gentle pressure on it to help it roll off drip rail. I f you don't have this tool one can be made from an old metal kitchen fork. The reason the factory tool has an arrow head shape is so left handed and right handed people can use it when they switch from the right to left of the vehicle sides. To make the fork tool you cut off both outside fork stays at an angle toward the inner stays leaving about 3/32" of the stay on the inside, where the cut out between the stays are. Next cut the inner stay off leaving it 3/16" long. Repeat on the other side of the fork and now you have a right and left sided drip rail cover remover tool. You just use the smaller outside edge to pick the cover loose at the front and use the longer inner stay to help guide and roll the cover off. Stop at the bend in the roof where the side and back of the cab join. Then get in the bed and remove the center joint cover and follow the same process from the center to the side but now you can pull the trim cover off. This just keeps it from losing it's form or kinking. Repeat on the other side using the opposite side of the tool and you done. As was said back on is EZ.

You have a link so I can better picture what your saying??

Kinda like this??

PP-BJ07LB.jpg

or this???

ZA1570.jpg

jump.jsp?itemID=2501&itemType=PRODUCT

Like this. Well THE LINK DIDN'T WORK looks like I havta learn how to post pictures. Copy and paste it in your browser since I'm tardo

To make the fork tool just cut the outside stays at a 45 towards the center leaving 3/32" and cut the inner stay off straight at 3/16.

http://www.fine-tools.co.uk/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/PP-BJ07LB.jpg

I think I know what your saying now,,,, see if this link works for ya!

Yeah it worked and I can work from your example. Here's what I meant

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2501&itemType=PRODUCT

Ahhh I see... I think I'll make one right now!!! Thanks!

Well I did it, but I just just a gasket scraper.. and then my ADD kicked in and I removed the window trim and cowl cover... washed everything and started sanding on all the trim pieces!! I'm going to call a guy tomorrow who does powder coating near me and see what kind of deal a case of Miller will get me! :brows: