A/C Charging (R12)

I'm probably one of the few who's still running R12 in my system. A buddy called this afternoon who had scored a 30# container of R12, said come on over and we'll charge up your system for free; just bring the beer. An obvious no-brainer. :cheers: I knew I was down a pound or two as the A/C was cycling last summer and hadn't been recharged in over three years. So we hooked up the gauges, attached the bottle to the low side service valve port, and then I tried to "open" the valve. I'd forgotten that to open the valve for recharging, you have to turn turn the stem cw, NOT ccw, which actually screws the valve IN, not OUT, as it's back-seated. I didn't destroy the valve by trying to turn it ccw, but came damn close. :eek: Daddy always said if it don't turn, don't force it. Anyhow, when the dead brain cell finally kicked in, I turned the shaft cw and avoided a major catastrophe. Just passing this on to hopefully prevent someone from making the same mistake.

I'm probably one of the few who's still running R12 in my system. A buddy called this afternoon who had scored a 30# container of R12, said come on over and we'll charge up your system for free; just bring the beer. An obvious no-brainer. :cheers: I knew I was down a pound or two as the A/C was cycling last summer and hadn't been recharged in over three years. So we hooked up the gauges, attached the bottle to the low side service valve port, and then I tried to "open" the valve. I'd forgotten that to open the valve for recharging, you have to turn turn the stem cw, NOT ccw, which actually screws the valve IN, not OUT, as it's back-seated. I didn't destroy the valve by trying to turn it ccw, but came damn close. :eek: Daddy always said if it don't turn, don't force it. Anyhow, when the dead brain cell finally kicked in, I turned the shaft cw and avoided a major catastrophe. Just passing this on to hopefully prevent someone from making the same mistake.

A little too many brews hey mate?? lol

Perhaps. :cheers: But the point is: since when do you turn a valve stem CW to open it? That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :D

Haha My truck is an Ohio truck still running R-12 here in Ca, I know I am an environmentally insensitive person but R-12 seems much cooler than other alternatives I have tried, and I will also be sticking with it! :cheers:

Haha My truck is an Ohio truck still running R-12 here in Ca, I know I am an environmentally insensitive person but R-12 seems much cooler than other alternatives I have tried, and I will also be sticking with it! :cheers:

Aye, agree jeepdoggydogB. :D Luckily I do have an R12 source for the immediate future, so IB stickin' too mate.

Just curious as to why ya'll want to stay wit hthe R-12 when it is so easy an inexpensive to convert?

I converted mine when I replaced the condensor and drier and it works great. If you find the right person that knows what they are doing you don't even need any parts to change over to the R-134, but it's easier to use the $20 conversion kit.

Just curious as to why ya'll want to stay wit hthe R-12 when it is so easy an inexpensive to convert?

I converted mine when I replaced the condensor and drier and it works great. If you find the right person that knows what they are doing you don't even need any parts to change over to the R-134, but it's easier to use the $20 conversion kit.

My family owns Nissan dealerships so I could go either way but of the last several conversions our techs made IMO the air wasn't as cold after the conversion. I have been toying with the idea of putting in a later (late90's) condenser, compressor when mine finally dies. From my experience those years Neon, GC, sebring, stratus had some of the coldest A/C's of all other rental cars in that era. I rented many in trips to Las Vegas, New Mexico, Texas and Hawaii over the years and those Chrysler A/C's performed very well.

If have 2 cars in the backyard with R-12 and I thought it would be a good idea to pump it out thinking I might even make a few bucks. Turned out it would stil cost me because the service guy said there is a glut of R12. So it sounds like if you don't have a major leak, you might as well continue with R12. No leak - no harm done. It's just inconvient to get R12 for us without buddies.

I've had several cars (mostly Mercedes W124 series) converted to R134a in the past, and none of them were as efficient or cold as the R12. Granted, Jeeps seem to adapt better than some other vehicles, and if and when my compressor gives it up, I'll convert. Until then I'm sticking with R12.

I've had several cars (mostly Mercedes W124 series) converted to R134a in the past, and none of them were as efficient or cold as the R12. Granted, Jeeps seem to adapt better than some other vehicles, and if and when my compressor gives it up, I'll convert. Until then I'm sticking with R12.

Speaking of replacing compressors, it looks like the last year of R-12 was 1994? I think the compressors are all bolton compatible from years 1991-1996 so if we were to go with the R134a compressor from a 95 or 96 Cherokee apparently it would be a bolton project (replacing the expansion valve of course.). I am very happy with my A/C now but that might be the road to take when it fails. :cheers: