Short, long, big, small? WHAT?

This has been annoying me for awhile now.

What the hell is the difference between a short block and a long block?

I've heard of the 4.0 refered to as both, and when I search either term I get a bunch of V8s, as well as I6s.

So, to me anyway, it seems like all motors have been called all of those terms.

Do V6s have anything like that?

A short block is just the block...no head/heads.

A long block is the block with the head/heads bolted on it.

Neither one comes with any accessories on them, but a "Crate motor" is a long block with accessories attached. :cheers:

Life is a long road of learning. Some useful, some not, some important, some not. You have no idea what you don't know. You also have no idea what you think you know but are wrong. Questions are great but when you know you don't know something. Sometimes you need a whack on the head. (This is why you have tests in school)

This forum has a wide cross section of talent and knowledge and it is fun reading the youngsters learn bit by bit. I never had any professional training and have no idea what they teach now, so I ask do they teach you how to think? There are a lot of diagnostic/disassembly tricks that aren't in the books. You need experience to come up behind you and whack you on the head 'why are you doing it that way' Of course when you're alone you remember that after your done (or it's broken)

A short block is just the block...no head/heads.

A long block is the block with the head/heads bolted on it.

Neither one comes with any accessories on them, but a "Crate motor" is a long block with accessories attached. :cheers:

BINGO!!

There are NO stupid questions asked here. Your only stupid if you don't ask, assume you know, and that causes a problem or damage!! Simply put, you don't know until you know. ;) :brows:

Some of us have the advantage of being around this world a bit longer, others work daily with this stuff, some BOTH!!!

CW

Life is a long road of learning. Some useful, some not, some important, some not. You have no idea what you don't know. You also have no idea what you think you know but are wrong. Questions are great but when you know you don't know something. Sometimes you need a whack on the head. (This is why you have tests in school)

This forum has a wide cross section of talent and knowledge and it is fun reading the youngsters learn bit by bit. I never had any professional training and have no idea what they teach now, so I ask do they teach you how to think? There are a lot of diagnostic/disassembly tricks that aren't in the books. You need experience to come up behind you and whack you on the head 'why are you doing it that way' Of course when you're alone you remember that after your done (or it's broken)

You are right about a long road of learning!

I remember the first time I pulled the head on my 1963 Rambler 6 cylinder engine. As we struggled to lift the head off the block, we wondered where all the water came from. You see, we never drained the radiator.

Funny what 17 year olds think they know.

And here I am today, still messing with the same basic 1963 engine! You might think I should have made some progress in the last 40 years or so...