BA-10 plug?? come look pic's added!!!

OK I have my carpet out of the MJ and I remember someone saying I could remove the lower boot and shifter to fill the tranny... Well I took off my busted, ripped, lower boot, and shifter, and saw that I could fill the tranny, but I also noticed a hole in the top of it....

Its located about 2oclock from the shifter hole..

Is there a plug that goes there??

Its just a open hole right down.. I'm perplexed on what to do about it..

Leave it open to vent??

Get a cork and plug it, or what???

BA-10....

Thanks fellows,,,,,jt

ps... Can I fit an AX-15's in my 2wd?????

It doesn't plug into the bellhousing, it just opens to the air, hence 'vent'. It just has a clip thing that goes on one of the bellhousing to motor bolts.

cool... guess I'll rig something up then, maybe a beaker bottle stopper with a hole in it..

but I WANT A AX-15!!! sell me yours!!! :brows:

Back of a 4wd trans looks like this...the big circle with the bolt holes for the t-case

ax15_rear_quarter_face.jpg

2wd looks like this(not an Ax-15, but a cousin of it.)

v62wd_500.jpg

And no, you can't just get a new back housing for it, the internals(output shaft) are different.

so is the cuz a ax-5?? That would be better then the ba-10 too right??

To clarify:

Aisin Ax-5 Jeep 5 speed transmission used behind the 2.8 V6, 2.5 4 cyl, and 2.1 Turbo Diesel 4 cyl.

Aisin Ax-15 Jeep 5 speed transmission used behind the 4.0.

Aisin w54 and w58 are Toyota versions of the Ax-5, and the w56 is a Toyota cousin of the Ax-5

Aisin R151 is what I pictured for the 2wd, and that's a Toyota cousin of the Ax-15.

The Peugot Ba 10/5 was only used behind the 4.0, and yes it did have 2wd and 4wd versions.

It doesn't plug into the bellhousing, it just opens to the air, hence 'vent'. It just has a clip thing that goes on one of the bellhousing to motor bolts.

cool... guess I'll rig something up then, maybe a beaker bottle stopper with a hole in it..

but I WANT A AX-15!!! sell me yours!!! :brows:

Lol...I'll give you my 2wd Ax-15 if you give me a 4wd one.

Easiest way, without pulling the tranny or getting under the truck, is to pull the center console out and look at the shifter. Peugot has 3 bolts that hold it on. Ax-15 has 4.

Since yours in an 88, if it's the original tranny you'll have the Peugot. 89 was the transition year.

That's what I was afraid of :cry:

The BA 10/5 really isn't that bad if you just DD it. My 88 XJ had one and the only problem it gave me, is that it would occassionally pop out 1st when starting out if you didn't hold the shifter forward. Had 187k on it when I got it, put 20k on it myself, beat it up pretty good, and it never blew up.

:dunno: i bought my truck with a newish 4.0L and a BA10 and i've beat on that transmission (i'm 18 now, bought it 2 years ago) i slam the gears daily, and in 25,000 miles i haven't managed to hurt it. that includes wheelin, hauling axles/engines and yanking f250s out of mudholes in 4lo

its not THAT bad... or maybe we're just lucky?

I think we're just lucky. Good production run. Maybe the drunk called in sick that day...who knows?

I used to smoke 27 in tires on 3.07s with the crappy 3.39 first in that thing and never burned it up.... Did it in the 89 too and I never damaged that tranny either.

The only grip I have with mine is it sounds like its crying me a handful.. esp in retreat... oh and it leaks, I hoping its from that vent hole, but probably not with my luck....

I think I'm going to flush it out with kerosene and refill it with synthetic...

I had another thread about synchromesh and was advised not to run it..

I was hoping it would be better, in fact it kinda is better that I don't because that $#!+ is like 14 bones a qrt!!! :eek:

OK. Please bear with me. Is it the bolts under the cover or the bolts that hold the cover on that you are talking about? The cover I am talking about is the one under the console that lets you get to the tranny. :D

It's the bolts that hold the actual shifter assembly on.

Image Not Found

See how there's three holes on his BA 10/5? Those are for the bolts that hold the shifter on. You have to take off the top shifter boot, then the console, then the bottom boot to get at it. IIRC, the BA 10/5 also has another stupid little cover that hides the bolts. Either way, the BA shifter thinger is round, and the AX-15 is rectangular.

OK. Thanks. Just ripped the original rubber mat out to see what the floor looked like..it was soaked....not too good...but I'm sure there are worse. just need front pans, seat area is good. Figured while i was in there I would check it out.

Correct,, theres the main console and boot, then another boot, then you'll see the three 10mm bolts that hold the shifter down. take those out then you can pull the whole thing out.. it has a round pipe looking spacer and like three rings that go with the shifter.. really easy to remove, glad I did cause thats when I saw the missing vent !!!