Welding masters

chicofuentes0224

Hey kids,

after getting a $500 quote to weld my door hinge on my truck I've decided to just go buy a stinkin welder and learn to do it myself. Anybody have any suggestions or opinions on what brand/type/power rating :dunno: to buy. I'll probably use it on other projects for my pizza shop and truck so we are going for quality and reliability here. Not cheapest piece of crap on the market that won't last more than a year. Never done this before so any and all help is and would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

I'm very happy with my 185 amp 220 volt Hobart MIG welder. :D

I bought it 6 years ago at TSC and it has worked great. I have used over 150 pounds of wire in it. :brows:

Now I want an old AC/DC Lincoln welder for cast and a TIG for fun...

I had my eye on a Hobart Handler 187 welder which is a 220v unit, but after some consideration, I think that I might settle for the Handler 140 unit. It is only 120v, but that makes it very portable and easy to use around the house. My neighbor has a 220v Lincoln Arc that I use all the time, so I would use that for really heavy stuff. Most of the welding that I will be doing is cage work, and nothing over 3/16. When I start to weld my axles...I'll take them over to my neighbors place to burn them on with the stick.

Oh, and the 187 is $650 from Northern tool, and the 140 is $450. Free shipping on both.

Do make sure that your circuits can take it. I found out that the garage is underpowered and I blow the breaker if I weld longer than 5 seconds with my little pos stick welder. Hopefully we can upgrade the service to the garage this summer.

I had my eye on a Hobart Handler 187 welder which is a 220v unit, but after some consideration, I think that I might settle for the Handler 140 unit. It is only 120v, but that makes it very portable and easy to use around the house. My neighbor has a 220v Lincoln Arc that I use all the time, so I would use that for really heavy stuff. Most of the welding that I will be doing is cage work, and nothing over 3/16. When I start to weld my axles...I'll take them over to my neighbors place to burn them on with the stick.

Oh, and the 187 is $650 from Northern tool, and the 140 is $450. Free shipping on both.

Just make sure you get a bottle of CO2/argon from a local welders supply store and use it instead of fluxcore wire.

The only time I use fluxcore is outside on a windy day. If you have 220V get the 187 it is well wort the price difference.

Free shipping and the free welder cart is a good deal.

Get a 220v welder if possible. It will make welding 3/16 and 1/4" metal so much easier with less prep time. The smaller 110v welders bring the suck execpt if you are doing sheet metal. The 220v MIGs can do thin gauge sheet metal if you put the proper size wire in them. I have used both Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, and Esab welders and don't really think one is better than another for home use. I really liked the Esab for full out professional shop fab work followed by the miller and then the Lincoln. There was nothing wrong with the Hobart, I just liked the controls better on the other machines. In my own garage, I have an old school Miller 175 and it does Jeep fab work just fine.

AARON

Just make sure you get a bottle of CO2/argon from a local welders supply store and use it instead of fluxcore wire.

The only time I use fluxcore is outside on a windy day. If you have 220V get the 187 it is well wort the price difference.

Free shipping and the free welder cart is a good deal.

I very rarely weld indoors. Even when I do, its in a 3 sided garage with no door. The rest of the time its outside. I'm not sure that a bottle would do much good for me...it would probobly just blow away.:dunno:

I very rarely weld indoors. Even when I do, its in a 3 sided garage with no door. The rest of the time its outside. I'm not sure that a bottle would do much good for me...it would probobly just blow away.:dunno:

I weld in my garage with the door open all the time. If it's a calm day it works great outside. If you are welding inside your rig iy works great too.

I'm lazy and don't like cleaning welds. If you are fixing floors flux core would drive me nuts and take alot longer to do.

Get a bottle of gas. The whole wind getting in the way is a load of crap. Well sometimes it does blow the gas away but its really got to be blowing. If your getting porous welds from the gas being blown away, just thow up something to block the wind around the area you are welding. A cardboard cereal box goes along way.

AARON