front driveshaft removal, better MPG?

In theory, yes. But not enough to notice any difference. It simply doesn't take much energy to keep it spinning around compared to pushing your brick through the air. I'd rather leave it on just in case you need it (we just got 5 inches here with more on the way).

The front shaft should not be spinning or causing drag unless you have a locker in the front. If you have an open diff, it will make no difference at all.

22 MPG ... You are doing extremely well to get that. I can't imagine an MJ, or most other Jeeps, getting that kind of MPG.

Been running without my front driveshaft on the tj for a little while now with no noticable difference in milage. Like Pete said, "it's a brick."

On a side note, maybe the postman will deliver my driveshaft today. :D

For the trouble of removing the DS... you will be WAY better off just changing your driving habits!!

Here is the mind set... you have a rotten egg permanently attached to the gas pedal. If you depress the pedal too hard you will break the egg and STINK UP YOUR CAB FOR EVER!!! SLOW starts and keep it at a constant speed around 60.

Have the truck aligned and slightly over inflate your tires. don't GO CRAZY!!

Good luck and drive SAFE!!

CW

haha, my TJ gets 22 on the highway doing 70-80 drafting behind semi's on the turnpike

my jeep runs great, no need for a tune up.

but i did use synthetic gear oil so maybe that will help out some.

but i am not complaining about mpg's, just want more

I think what we're trying to say is it will give you slightly, slightly better, but it's not worth it, just in case you need it on the way. If you do remove it for the trip...make sure you still bring it with, with the hardware and tools to install it in case you end up needing it.

It must be a 4.0L. The 2.5L gets worse MPG than a 4.0.

My 2.5 4wd gets much, much, much better mileage than my HO 4.0 2wd.

Sorry...I should have added ... "in a Wrangler" ... to my statement. I have no experience with an MJ 4 banger, but every Wrangler I have been involved with fits my statement ;) .