ANOTHER exhaust question...

I have been having problems with the two studs in the exhaust manifold where the header pipe attaches. (4.0L) The studs are old and rusty and just will not stay tight. I would LOVE to just change them... But they are in a tight spot and not easy to get at. Last night one nut fell right off and now will not stay on at all. SO, now I HAVE to do something..... Got allot of clunking and banging going on under there.

I am REALLY hoping I can accomplish this without removing the manifold..... here is my question.

I am thinking they must be screw in, but I am not sure. Doe's anyone know for sure one way or the other?? Also, are the metric or standard?

Thanks,

CW

My thought was the mounting bolts were "pressed" in the manifold :dunno:

Every thing is so corroded around here :cry:

I've replaced them using a 'hot wrench' and installed 3/8" x 2" Grade 8 bolts. And had no problems, well except from burning from below :roll:

well except from burning from below :roll:

You do know they make hemorrhoid creams, right? :D

OH, wrong burning from below, sorry bout that, returning to your usually scheduled thread now.

CW, my 88 2.5 had the same problem, and I honestly don't know what all was done to it, but something about new bolts and nuts somewhere, and a new downpipe. Either way, it's been working for me for about 4 years now.

They do screw in, and I'm 90% certain they are an SAE thread.

they are press in like a wheel stud i just hit mine with a hammer and knocked them out.

And this is the cruxt of my problem... :oops: :cry: :eek: I too have seen BOTH. Just not on a XJ/MJ.

I am inclined to go with Eagle. (No offence jeepthing) But again, this is the answer I WANT. Now, I know the 2.5 4CYL is a press in as I did this on one and we now use nuts and bolts.

I do not see a way to just "knock it out" as the only access is from below. (With out complete removal)

HELP........

CW

They are a pressed in stud as previously described. They resemble a wheel stud and have to be pressed/knocked out from the bottom. You can knock them out and then replace them with a regular bolt & nut set up as many do in this situation. :cheers:

They are a pressed in stud as previously described. They resemble a wheel stud and have to be pressed/knocked out from the bottom. You can knock them out and then replace them with a regular bolt & nut set up as many do in this situation. :cheers:

THANKS MAN!!

OOH, and my apologies to you, Jeep thing, I didn't take your advice and looks like you are correct. (I also called a local exhaust shop and he too confirmed that they drive them out from beneath and replace with nuts and bolts.) :oops:

CW

• 2 weeks later...

Guys... they PRESS IN!!

As you can see...mine where SHOT!!! I just replaced them with nuts and bolts. Also made a better mid hanger.

Its now WAY BETTER and also found a very annoying clunk...that's GONE now as well!! GOOD DAY!!

CW

they are press in like a wheel stud i just hit mine with a hammer and knocked them out. i went to the dealer to get new ones but they were really expensive so i just put regular bolts back in it i havent had any problems out of it.

?? I just looked these up. The replacement studs part number is J4007109 and they are like $3.85/ea.