Using up some leftovers.

mfpdm

So I got rid of my pressure tank blaster yesterday and decided to build me a blasting cabinet. I used all the leftover plywood from adding my garage and things leftover from other projects and what not. So here it is. Don't laugh. :D

used a siphon feed blaster gun and you can see the vacuum output near the top

The gloves are the only thing I had to get. $4 at Northern Tools.

Tested it out real quick on a bucket seat bracket.

It did pretty good even with the vacuum off. I've got a leak here and there but very minor. I'm going to get some different abrasive though. I had some glass bead but it is way to fine and will take to long to do all the things I need to get done. When I pull the glass abrasive out, I'll probably caulk the seams to get rid of the leaks, however I screwed the whole thing together so I can disassemble it later and use the materials on something else. :brows:

I like it!! right there with the KISS philosophy!!! hey give a run down on the parts you used.. gun, and how it salvages material... what not,,

I want to make one too!! :D

I was thinking of building a big tumbler out of a 55 gal drum and some old lawn mower parts,,, just throw what you wanted cleaned/ polished and a hour later go get them out.. don't know if it'd work or not, I've never had/used a tumbler before.

I like it!! right there with the KISS philosophy!!! hey give a run down on the parts you used.. gun, and how it salvages material... what not,,

I want to make one too!! :D

I was thinking of building a big tumbler out of a 55 gal drum and some old lawn mower parts,,, just throw what you wanted cleaned/ polished and a hour later go get them out.. don't know if it'd work or not, I've never had/used a tumbler before.

Well I'll try to keep this simple :brows:

Materails include; 3/8 inch plywood, piece of plexiglass, couple of hinges, wire mesh, deck screws, few nuts and bolts, weather stripping, and some sheet rubber(gasket material)

Tools used; Circular saw, drill, scroll saw, and assorted hand tools.

Basically, I put the 4 sides together, 36" x 22". The back is 20" tall and the front is 19" tall. The sides slant matching the front and back. I just pre-drilled small holes then screwed them together with 1 1/4" deck screws.

Then I made the top matching the dimensions, cut out a window, used 1" strips of gasket material just outside the opening, placed the plaxiglass on top of the strips, drilled holes in the plexiglass throught the top, and then used small nuts and bolts to attach.

The bottom was the tricky part. First I made 2 5" x 22" strips of plywood and attached them to the bottom on both ends. This gives a flat spot to sit the cabinet on the saw horses. I then cut 2 pieces of plywood 22" long and the inner dimension of the cabinet. These will make the well that all the abrasive will sit in. The top edge of those was about 5" up the side wall and angled down to meet in the middle of the cabinet with the other side( like a V). With them in place you measure and make a triangle that will close off the rest of the bottom. 36" across and the tallest point of the triangle was 13". These will be verticle with the front and back walls. Screw it all together. I took two of the triangle pieces that came as a result of cutting the other triangles and used them to angle in from the front and back. This makes the deep part of the well in the center.

I cut 2 circles in the front for your arms. Cut a ring out of plywood that was bigger than the holes and sandwich a piece of gasket material between them. Cut a much smaller opening in the gasket material than the hole. This will make the gasket material fit tight around you arm when you put it through. Did the same thing except smaller for the vacuum hole in the top back side wall. Nozzle for the vacuum is held tight in the hole. Also a small hole on the side for the airhose to pass through.

Made a screen working platform by making a picture frame sandwiching the screen inbetween plywood matching the inner dimensions of the box, but making it about 5" short on one end. This allows you to work the siphon hose into the abrasive in the well.

On the opposite side that you put the vacuum hole in, I drill about ten half inch holes near the top to allow air to come in when the vacuum is running. I put a piece of plywwod about 4" wide at a 45 degree angle in the corner to make a small passage so the incoming air will come out at the bottom and makes it harder for dust to get out.

Last thing I did was use some 1/4 inch weather stripping on the top edges of all 4 sides to seal the top when closed.

Attach the top with the 2 hinges and make some way to hold it closed tight. I used a screw attached to the top and side with a string but will use a latch when I find it in my pile of extra parts.

The gun is just a regular siphon blasting kit that you can get a most hardware stores for under $20. I shorten the pickup tube so I wouldn't have all that extra in the cabinet.

Everything I used, with the exception of the gloves, was something that was in my garage taking up space. Now it is being useful and taking up even more space. :D

I like the idea about the large tumbler, may have to give that one some thought.

U get a gold star for the day for thinking outside the box

Now if you read all this and it makes since, I'll pass the star onto you.

:cheers:

Now if you read all this and it makes since, I'll pass the star onto you. :cheers:

Sorry, my attention deficit dis... oh look, A SQUIRREL! Ah, crap, what was I saying again?

Just kidding man, as long as it functions properly, who should care about looks, right? Even though, it does look good.

How many psi does it take to siphon the material out of the bin.? I like your ingenuity & industriousness on the projest. I just bought a dual cyl 160 psi 80 gal comp so no excuse for not getting my blaster box built now.

I have a 135 psi 25 gal. I set the output at about 80 psi and it does just fine. Almost to good. I spent about 2 hrs tonight using it. Changed out the abrasive for a more aggressive one and it made a night and day difference. I'm going to have to chaulk the seams though. Really fine dust now covers everything in the garage. If I would have run the vacuum I could have avoided this but I've already burned up one vac in the past 6 months. It's still better than all the sand everywhere. I've got a few other tweaks to do on it that should make it garage friendly. If not, it will just have to be an outside toy.

:cheers: