bed removal

A few years ago I drove around in my 79 F100 without a bed for a few weeks while working on it. The polce never said anything about fenders, but then, I did have mud flaps behind the wheels.

One thing to be aware of is without any weight on the rear axle, you take off *slowly*. It is real easy to spin the tires, and doing so without any weight will cause wheel hop. That's a good way to break a u-joint on the drive shaft, as I found out.

Granted an MJ is not an F100, but the physics are the same.

exactly. cause you won't have the weight of the bed over the rear wheels, and they're rear wheel drive.

mud flaps will suffice while bedless, but there must be coverage of fenders or mudflaps. you also are required ty law to have tail lights and turn signals.

remember, your gas tank is mounted to the bed...so you will need to make a mount for that first.

and no, wood 2x4 is NOT a good idea to use as a gas tank support.

Not trying to jack the thread or anything but what do you mean by the front would be too heavy? As in it would do a stoppie? lol Just curious

ahahaha awesome. on this topic, 4runners with fat kids to wheelies

yeah lights and fender are a bit of a problem. gas tank? who needs those?

plywood and tow straps should work great :cheers:

don't encourage rednecking with gas tanks. it's everyone else's lives at risk with him in a driving time bomb.

...tank bouncing away, oops...scraping on the ground...oooh, sparks and fuel vapor. real great. oh no, i'm next to the truck in rush hour...what do I do?

BOOM

terrible idea. this is exactly why I said no wood. I know a kid with a comanche...used 2x4 green treated boards for the tank supports then the dumb@$$ actually spend $$$ on steel to build a bed for it...his thinking is flawed.

drive safe, or don't drive.

hmm... lets learn something here. bolt the plywood to the rails, strap the tanks down with tow straps. i believe thats how chevy did it for a very long time. also gas does not explode unless it is under pressure. so if it would end up falling off, sliding, making a hole in the top, the cables stayin on. it would in worst case scenario just burn gas, and that wouldnt last too long. plus i think you wouldnt notice if your gas tank fell off yorr bed

what bed. plywood doesn't constitute a bed. nor does it constitute a safe means of retaining a gas tank. do you think a state vehicle inspector would allow someone to drive like that? I don't. it's about MY and OTHER'S safety on the road.

gas may be combustible under pressure, but honestly, you wouldn't grind next to a gas tank for fear of sparks igniting the fumes, so why would you risk something where your gas tank would fall off.

and, I seriously doubt that anything post-1940 used plywood or wood to hold a friggin gas tank.

yes up here, if the wood is sturdy there are plenty of places that will put a sticker on your truck. btw, i have grinded near open gas and not had problems.

as have I, that doesn't mean it was safe or a good idea.

fact is that wood does not = gas tank support. i sure hope the OP understands this...and doesn't listen to your poor opinions in regards to what's safe.

yes up here, if the wood is sturdy there are plenty of places that will put a sticker on your truck. btw, i have grinded near open gas and not had problems.

You are a lucky but stupid man. :eek:

Grinding by an open gas tank is unbelieveably stupid. :nuts: You are a lucky man.

BTW whatever happened to natural selection????

I was just going to put a seat between the rails for my wife and she can do hand signals. she got plenty of gas so a tank won't be needed. wheel hop I would be lucky to get wheel spin on ice. I had to buy acos to compensate the pass side drop. but she is supper sweet.