Headlights now on full time. Can't find souce of prob

I have an 89 comanche with 4.0l. My head lights are staying on when the truck is off and the switch is shut off. When it is off and the switch is off, the lights are not at full brightness. Does my truck have daytime running lights? (Canadian truck). Right now i am disconnecting the battery every time I have to shut down. Let me know what you think!!! Possible direction to start.

Thanks

check the little blue module to the left of the fuse box. it should be blue and parts inside it may have melted.

does it stay on permanently? or shut off after a bit. if it shuts off after a bit, then it's fine.

also check your headlight switch. matter of fact, make sure you shut it off. anyways, that can break too.

check the little blue module to the left of the fuse box. it should be blue and parts inside it may have melted.

does it stay on permanently? or shut off after a bit. if it shuts off after a bit, then it's fine.

also check your headlight switch. matter of fact, make sure you shut it off. anyways, that can break too.

I went to work today for 4.5 hrs and when i got back i found the headlights on and the switch off.

Sounds like the headlight switch is fried mate. Since this is where 12V is applied to the headlights (there is no headlight relay), this is probably it. Pretty common, especially if you have installed higher wattage headlights and have not put in headlight relays.

Thanks for the help guys. What a pain in the @$$ that was. 2 hrs of swearing. Note to those who have never done this. Push the button on the switch to get the knob and rod out......duh!!!!! don't ask!!

There's a button? I never have gotten one to come off. :headpop:

Thanks for the help guys. What a pain in the @$$ that was. 2 hrs of swearing. Note to those who have never done this. Push the button on the switch to get the knob and rod out......duh!!!!! don't ask!!

There's a button? I never have gotten one to come off. :headpop:

Yeah, there is a button on the bottom of the switch assembly.

Still not working!!!!!

I put in the new dash switch and everything seemed to work fine. I went to work this afternoon and when i got back...... not low beams. I have running lights and bright lights but no low beams. This is "f" ed up. Is there any fuses or relays or modules in this system? I really need to get these working. I drove home with the high beams on but that will only do for a short time. Where should I go next??

There's a rod that runs down the left side of the steering column that goes from the multifunction switch to the HO/LOW/FLASH-TO-PASS switch on the lower column. You might have knocked this rod off while replacing your headlight switch.

There's a rod that runs down the left side of the steering column that goes from the multifunction switch to the HO/LOW/FLASH-TO-PASS switch on the lower column. You might have knocked this rod off while replacing your headlight switch.

I can still switch from high beam to low beam but the low beam does not work. Is this rod inside the column or outside? What is involved in putting it back in?

Three days ago something in the multifunction switch broke. It is the tab that resets the left turn signal when you turn the steering wheel back after you turn. Do you think that this may have something to do with my problem?

I can still switch from high beam to low beam but the low beam does not work. Is this rod inside the column or outside? What is involved in putting it back in?

Three days ago something in the multifunction switch broke. It is the tab that resets the left turn signal when you turn the steering wheel back after you turn. Do you think that this may have something to do with my problem?

The rod is on the outside of the column; left side, easy to see. Do your high beams light up when you pull the multifunction lever back? If so the rod is in place. See if there's not a wire hanging from the switch at the lower end of the rod. Part 6 is the rod, part 7 is the dimmer switch.

Image Not Found

The rod is on the outside of the column; left side, easy to see. Do your high beams light up when you pull the multifunction lever back? If so the rod is in place. See if there's not a wire hanging from the switch at the lower end of the rod. Part 6 is the rod, part 7 is the dimmer switch.

Image Not Found

Yes my high beams light up still. I'll check tomorrow for that wire and let you know.

The rod is in place and the dimmer works to turn on the high beams.

Low beams have been off since last night. when i came home from work this am, the low beams were on and will not go out. I disconnected the multifunction switch and they are still on. It seems to be like a bad ground mabey, or something is back feeding the system?? i really don't know. let me know what you think. This is frustrating me to hell!!

This is screwed up. If i disconect the battery and reconnect it about 7 times quickly the headlights go out! Then if i wait about 25-30 seconds the lights will come on automatically. Does anyone know where the head lamp delay module is? It is an optional item and mabey my trunk has one and is f'd. I have opened the harness up along the front quarter panel to see if there is any wires fried or what not but found nothing. I will be back from work around 7pm tonight and i will check in here with you's.

Thanks for the help on this gremlin.

This is screwed up. If i disconect the battery and reconnect it about 7 times quickly the headlights go out! Then if i wait about 25-30 seconds the lights will come on automatically. Does anyone know where the head lamp delay module is? It is an optional item and mabey my trunk has one and is f'd. I have opened the harness up along the front quarter panel to see if there is any wires fried or what not but found nothing. I will be back from work around 7pm tonight and i will check in here with you's.

i already told you where the headlamp delay is.

to the left of the fusebox on the driver's side.

if it has headlamp delay it will be a blue module. can't miss it, it's about 2"x1" and though you won't see them til you get it out, it has about 7 connectors.

to remove it you have to reach around to the side you can't see and push the retainer clip while pulling the module. otherwise it comes out crooked and gets hung up.

i already told you where the headlamp delay is.

to the left of the fusebox on the driver's side.

if it has headlamp delay it will be a blue module. can't miss it, it's about 2"x1" and though you won't see them til you get it out, it has about 7 connectors.

to remove it you have to reach around to the side you can't see and push the retainer clip while pulling the module. otherwise it comes out crooked and gets hung up.

I think Pat is referring to the blue plastic chime module. The headlamp delay module is a metal box up under the dash next to the headlight switch. Looks like this:

If you have one, unlug it and see what happens.

I removed the module from beside the fuse box. It was black not blue, but it was a seven pin connector about 1 x2 inches right beside the hazzard flasher on the bottom left side of the fuse box.

I am not sure if it fixed anything yet as this problem has been hit and miss and changing daily. I will let you's know how things work.

I removed the module from beside the fuse box. It was black not blue, but it was a seven pin connector about 1 x2 inches right beside the hazzard flasher on the bottom left side of the fuse box.

I am not sure if it fixed anything yet as this problem has been hit and miss and changing daily. I will let you's know how things work.

After removing this module the problem is still there. Where exactly is that headlight delay module that is metal in relation to the headlight switch? That is the only thing that i have not unplugged yet. When i changed the main light switch i do not recall seeing that metal module.

After removing this module the problem is still there. Where exactly is that headlight delay module that is metal in relation to the headlight switch? That is the only thing that i have not unplugged yet. When i changed the main light switch i do not recall seeing that metal module.

You removed the chime module - they came in either black or blue. The blue one has the LIGHTS ON buzzer, the only difference. The headlamp delay module (if you have one) is mounted on a 4-pin connector up under the dash with a single screw. You should make sure if it's there or not. If not, when your headlight switch went south, it may have taken the dimmer switch (lower steering column at the end of the rod) fusing the contacts and keeping the lights on. Do you have a meter? If not get one and start troubleshooting - someone sent a wiring diagram. All we can do is guess.