Headlights now on full time. Can't find souce of prob

This is screwed up. If i disconect the battery and reconnect it about 7 times quickly the headlights go out! Then if i wait about 25-30 seconds the lights will come on automatically. Does anyone know where the head lamp delay module is? It is an optional item and mabey my trunk has one and is f'd. I have opened the harness up along the front quarter panel to see if there is any wires fried or what not but found nothing. I will be back from work around 7pm tonight and i will check in here with you's.

Thanks for the help on this gremlin.

i already told you where the headlamp delay is.

to the left of the fusebox on the driver's side.

if it has headlamp delay it will be a blue module. can't miss it, it's about 2"x1" and though you won't see them til you get it out, it has about 7 connectors.

to remove it you have to reach around to the side you can't see and push the retainer clip while pulling the module. otherwise it comes out crooked and gets hung up.

I think Pat is referring to the blue plastic chime module. The headlamp delay module is a metal box up under the dash next to the headlight switch. Looks like this:

If you have one, unlug it and see what happens.

I've torn it apart again and cannot find this module/relay anywhere. It is not there. The headlights are on all the time now full strength. I have the main headlight switch unplugged, the high/low switch unplugged, the fog lamp relay unplugged, the chime module unplugged. And still the headlights are on. I checked the main headlight switch for a melt down but found nothing wrong. Where do the headlights get the power from exactly so that i can start chasing wires. What are the four relays behind the battery for. I unplugged each of them and they do not shut off the lights.

Did you find the headlamp delay module 4-pin connector like below?

Image Not Found

Power is applied from the headlight switch to the slider of the dimmer switch on the steering column. If you have the headlight switch unplugged, there should be no power to the dimmer switch. But unplug the dimmer switch too and see if the headlights go out.

Also, do you have a security alarm? In looking at my schematic, a stuck security alarm relay can also keep power on the headlights. I don't know where this relay is though - maybe someone else will chime in.

Did you find the headlamp delay module 4-pin connector like below?

Image Not Found

Power is applied from the headlight switch to the slider of the dimmer switch on the steering column. If you have the headlight switch unplugged, there should be no power to the dimmer switch. But unplug the dimmer switch too and see if the headlights go out.

Also, do you have a security alarm? In looking at my schematic, a stuck security alarm relay can also keep power on the headlights. I don't know where this relay is though - maybe someone else will chime in.

I found this four pin plug and it is not plugged into anything. I have no alarm either. I am thoroughly frustrated right now with this. I have it apart right now. The dimmer switch is also unplugged and they are still on.

Yeah, you have a weird one. Like a backfeed through one of the headlights feeding the other. Are they on high beam or low? Or both? Does the dimmer switch work? Only other thing I can think of is try unplugging each headlight and see it the other one stays on. That will give you a starting point to start tracing back from.

Yeah, you have a weird one. Like a backfeed through one of the headlights feeding the other. Are they on high beam or low? Or both? Does the dimmer switch work? Only other thing I can think of is try unplugging each headlight and see it the other one stays on. That will give you a starting point to start tracing back from.

Just tried that a couple of minutes ago. Nothing changed.

It's obvious now. Your truck is possessed and now we know how WI get all of their deals. They put a curse on the truck and wait until the owner gives up and comes in for the kill. Maybe the Dell guy can hepl you. Listen to this web site. http://www.ebaumsworld.com/audio/play/5719 Sorry I could get the link to post right today.

In all seriousness with all of the relays and switches pulled and only the lights are on (side lights too?), you now have full contact between a lighting wire and a hot wire. The only possible sources are harness power, started cable, and maybe lighter. The radio/clock memory doesn't have enough juice. Follow these wires checking for worn insulation. Isolate them and start at the battery and add one wire at a time. Electricity is tricky and can backfeed where you don't expect, so disconnect everything and add piece at a time to isolate the problem. Otherwise you need to follow and inspect every lighting wire unless it is just the headlights. You've gone for little contact (dim light) to good full contact.

Swilson;

Did you ever get your headlights to go out? One good thing that came out of this is that I now have the Headlamp Sentinel delay feature. :D I had the delay module sitting around in a box of electrical stuff, and plugged it in. It works fine, just turn the key off, pull the key, then shut off the headlights. They stay on about 30 seconds, then click off. If you don't want the delay feature, shut off the headlights first, then the ignition. Another useless creature comfort........ :cheers: