Extra clean mj on ebay..

jtdesigns

But then you'd have the same sucky gears, small U-joints, and that stupid CAD that (almost) all MJs came with. :( Why would you want that in your truck? Right now you could have anything. Don't pin yourself down to the crap that Jeep put out back in the day. You can go out and get better than stock. :D

You're not exactly talking to a 4WD expert here Pete. :oops: Recommendations? Don't scream, but I want to keep my D35 for now because it has the TeraFlex disks and new 4.11 gears. And I can reuse the TeraFlex kit on a D44 w. different backing plates if and when the D35 breaks.

But then you'd have the same sucky gears, small U-joints, and that stupid CAD that (almost) all MJs came with. :( Why would you want that in your truck? Right now you could have anything. Don't pin yourself down to the crap that Jeep put out back in the day. You can go out and get better than stock. :D

You're not exactly talking to a 4WD expert here Pete. :oops: Recommendations? Don't scream, but I want to keep my D35 for now because it has the TeraFlex disks and new 4.11 gears. And I can reuse the TeraFlex kit on a D44 w. different backing plates if and when the D35 breaks.

Well, this TN MJ is over $3K now, reserve not met, and the creek's still risin'. I'm not going to waste my time for a look-see.

Pete, seriously, give me some recommendations as to what model(s) is best for the front 4WD stuff. I have a close-by yard filled with 2001 and down XJs.

-Take your tape measure and check the non-CAD XJs for 297 joints and the matching shafts. (297 joints have bearing caps that are a greater diameter, though I don't remember what the actual measurements are) Not all of them will have the 297s. I think it's ABS models until around 95 or so when all models got them. TJ shafts work too. Try to grab the unit bearings with them if they are in good shape and the yard gives them for next to nothing with the shafts.

-Look for 2.5L models for front 4.10 gears. The gearing is more important than the shafts since the shafts are easily swapped in.

-97+ XJs with the 8.25 will have the 29 spline setup. About a strong as the Dana 44. I don't know if your brakes will work on the 8.25 but I wanted to throw that in there.

-95+ AX-15s are external slave (don't remember if you have a stick or auto)

-00+ stick XJs will have the NV-3500 (or is it the NV3550?) trans

-Later model T-cases will have the sealed rear end. Don't remember what year that started though. Applies to both 231s and 242s.

-All wheel drive can be had with those np-242s. :brows: All when drive is way cool. Even if you don't think you need it. I can mash the throttle in the Libby and she just roars ahead. No muss, no fuss. :D

If you can find a np-242 equipped XJ you should be able to get the trans/t-case, front axle shafts and front driveshaft. Then look for the 2.5L XJs to get the front axle. You can go older if you need too. Just make sure the parts are in good shape. The newer it is, the less likely it sat out behind the garage for years before the owner decided to pitch it. Being stationary is the about the worst thing that can happen to a car (not as bad as a collision with a train though).