Spare Tire Carrier Question

My truck came with a broken cable on the spare tire holder under the bed. I've always thought about fixing it and putting a full sized 32 inch spare down there to match my tires, never really occurred to me that it's a pretty small cable, and if it were to break could cause a lot of damage by dropping a 32 inch tire under the bed while driving lol. Has anyone ever done this? May just throw the donut under to use in a pinch, and only bring my full sized spare on dedicated offroading trips.

I have a full-size tire under there.  No prob with clearance or anything.  In fact, its a 33. 

Anyhow, a few years ago I did rebuild my spare tire winch device.  I disassembled and used stainless cable and lubed the hell out of it.  Easy peazy. 

I strongly recommend using at least some cheap small ratchet straps as an additional means to secure your tire.  I did in fact have my spare drop off at highway speeds on me prior to the rebuild.  I thought I ran over a human being or something, as it made a terrible sound and lifted my rear end up off the ground....at 65 mph.  I pulled over and did a quick visual, not knowing what had happened.  I then discovered that my tire was missing.  Had to go back a few miles to retreive it.  Scared the life out of me. 

I've now criss-crossed with small ratchet straps, never again trusting just the factory winch device.

5 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

I have a full-size tire under there.  No prob with clearance or anything.  In fact, its a 33. 

Anyhow, a few years ago I did rebuild my spare tire winch device.  I disassembled and used stainless cable and lubed the hell out of it.  Easy peazy. 

I strongly recommend using at least some cheap small ratchet straps as an additional means to secure your tire.  I did in fact have my spare drop off at highway speeds on me prior to the rebuild.  I thought I ran over a human being or something, as it made a terrible sound and lifted my rear end up off the ground....at 65 mph.  I pulled over and did a quick visual, not knowing what had happened.  I then discovered that my tire was missing.  Had to go back a few miles to retreive it.  Scared the life out of me. 

I've now criss-crossed with small ratchet straps, never again trusting just the factory winch device.

Doesn’t it require drilling out rivets or spot welds to take it apart?

15 minutes ago, Warren99 said:

Doesn’t it require drilling out rivets or spot welds to take it apart?

It's been a few years, so I don't remember for sure.  But it wouldn't surprise me if so.  Replace drilled out rivets with stainless bolts/nuts hardware would be my advice.  I don't recall spot welds.

If it's swb you will have to drill the rivets and remove the rear panel to fit a 31".  I did it to mine. But depending on the actual size of the tire 32" might be possible. I can't speak for a longbed.

Edit: I also wanted to add I highly recommend at least a ratchet strap from frame rail to frame rail, I wouldnt trust the factory spare carrier alone. They are too old and really not meant for an oversized tire.