Fitting for trans. cooler line outlet in radiator

Didn't know if this is what you are looking for but it might work. Dorman part #785-430.

It is a 3/8 barbed elbow to 1/4 pipe thread.

Look up barbed fuel hose connections lots of options with threads. Both straight and elbows.

2 hours ago, Eagle_SX4 said:

Didn't know if this is what you are looking for but it might work. Dorman part #785-430.

It is a 3/8 barbed elbow to 1/4 pipe thread.

Look up barbed fuel hose connections lots of options with threads. Both straight and elbows.

Thanks, but it's a quick-connect fitting I'm looking for.   

I had hoped that this would do the trick, but it doesn't engage. 

17139279298234224435775006750498.jpg

Well, sometimes it just takes a fresh look at things to come up with the (likely) solution. 

The Dorman 800-121 didn't engage because the barb on the radiator-side was too long.  Against my typical preference, I elected to shorten the barb.

Viola! Now I'll just have to wait for an eternity until I see if it holds 🙄

20240423_221109.jpg

20240423_221430.jpg

20240423_221505.jpg

20240423_223006.jpg

20240423_223040.jpg

I'm not sure you want to use that type of fuel line connector for your transmission lines? I'd probably replace the actual adapter at the radiator with something that has a barb end to it and use rubber hose, or if you want to get real fancy, make your own AN lines.

3 hours ago, acfortier said:

I'm not sure you want to use that type of fuel line connector for your transmission lines? I'd probably replace the actual adapter at the radiator with something that has a barb end to it and use rubber hose, or if you want to get real fancy, make your own AN lines.

I failed to mention that I'm repurposing the cooler in the radiator for use on the power steering return - pressure shouldn't be a concern here. 

I would have greatly preferred replacing the fitting in the radiator, but, unfortunately, it's soldered onto the cooler.

My only remaining concerns is the possibility that I cut off more length than necessary, leaving only one of the o-rings left to seal OR that the o-ring material may not be compatible with power steering fluid. 

2 hours ago, A-man930 said:

I failed to mention that I'm repurposing the cooler in the radiator for use on the power steering return - pressure shouldn't be a concern here. 

I would have greatly preferred replacing the fitting in the radiator, but, unfortunately, it's soldered onto the cooler.

My only remaining concerns is the possibility that I cut off more length than necessary, leaving only one of the o-rings left to seal OR that the o-ring material may not be compatible with power steering fluid. 

Out of curiosity, do you know what your PS fluid temps are now? Keep in mind that the radiator tranny “cooler” is more of a temp “regulator” bringing up the temps during cold days by transferring engine coolant heat. Most oem towing package rigs use an additional external “cooler” plumbed in series. 
So are you wanting to warm up your fluid for cold weather or actually cool down a system that is currently overheating? 
The fuel rail fitting you used may not stand up to those higher temps. Switching to AN or JIC fittings would be a much better alternative. 

This guy has a nice write up on the sizes and part numbers needed for the swap:

https://there4.io/2019/07/17/Jeep-XJ-Transmission-Cooler-Line-Ugrade/

8 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Out of curiosity, do you know what your PS fluid temps are now? Keep in mind that the radiator tranny “cooler” is more of a temp “regulator” bringing up the temps during cold days by transferring engine coolant heat. Most oem towing package rigs use an additional external “cooler” plumbed in series. 
So are you wanting to warm up your fluid for cold weather or actually cool down a system that is currently overheating? 

Current fluid temps are exactly room temp and, unfortunately, will be remaining that way for a long time.  

You are correct on the "regulating" effect, though, the primary reason I bothered to do this was to add volume.  Plus, it's right there next to the steering box... 

8 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

The fuel rail fitting you used may not stand up to those higher temps. Switching to AN or JIC fittings would be a much better alternative.  

This guy has a nice write up on the sizes and part numbers needed for the swap:

https://there4.io/2019/07/17/Jeep-XJ-Transmission-Cooler-Line-Ugrade/

This is on the "cold" (outlet) side of the cooler and, aside from the O-rings, the fitting is steel. I considered an AN or JIC fitting, but I wanted to avoid the bulk and am not convinced there's much to be gained.