Just wanted to show off my door panels I made! Tore the top plastic piece out of the old ruined door panels sanded down the center tab. Laid the old one on some tread bright aluminum made a stencil grabbed a grinder cut and smoothed. Put some sound deadener on the back…sheets of butyl tape pretty much. Lined everything and screwed it on! These are in the comanche, makin a set for the Cherokee now, then it’s time to move to the next phase of the build! Thought about leaving em polished but the shine was to much and then the keepin clean so some hf bedliner and shot em!

IMG_4292.jpeg

IMG_4362.jpeg

IMG_4359.jpeg

Gonna put some 6.5 with a mid range in the door handle blank and a tweeter on the mirror cover. Doin 6x9 in the cab rear with a tweeter in the dome light area. Movin the dome light to rear top like the old trucks. Maybe some subs under the seat

I look at all that diamond plate and think "cha-ching!"

Sweet design though, it fits the style. Comanches were not street racers, they weren't the biggest baddest performance vehicles of their day- they were TRUCKS. If my door cards were not in excellent shape and I had to scrap ratty ones, I'd definitely consider this alternative to used ones, even if it costs a lot more.

16 hours ago, Spinnakerblue89 said:

Sweet design though, it fits the style. Comanches were not street racers, they weren't the biggest baddest performance vehicles of their day- they were TRUCKS. If my door cards were not in excellent shape and I had to scrap ratty ones, I'd definitely consider this alternative to used ones, even if it costs a lot more.

Gonna put some 6.5 with a mid range in the door handle blank and a tweeter on the mirror cover. Doin 6x9 in the cab rear with a tweeter in the dome light area. Movin the dome light to rear top like the old trucks. Maybe some subs under the seat

Found a guy who gets cutoffs from some place and sells it pretty cheap. Doin the headliner as well. Tye cherokee is gonna punch me in the face if I do it in one piece. Thinkin bout doin it in 3 with 2 seams. Made one set for the cherokee out of some old tool boxes a friend gave me. You can get two out of one.

they weren't the biggest baddest performance vehicles of their day- they were TRUCKS.

Diamond plate door panels would look sweet in a performance car tho - even if they are heavy af

I was at an auction yesterday and a very large new section of (probably) 1/8 or 1/16 inch diamond plating was sold off for $300. It looked to be at least eight feet long and about four feet wide. I guess considering prices, someone got a deal. 

On 4/4/2024 at 9:57 AM, Warthog said:

Just wanted to show off my door panels I made! Tore the top plastic piece out of the old ruined door panels sanded down the center tab. Laid the old one on some tread bright aluminum made a stencil grabbed a grinder cut and smoothed. Put some sound deadener on the back…sheets of butyl tape pretty much. Lined everything and screwed it on! These are in the comanche, makin a set for the Cherokee now, then it’s time to move to the next phase of the build! Thought about leaving em polished but the shine was to much and then the keepin clean so some hf bedliner and shot em!

IMG_4292.jpeg

IMG_4362.jpeg

IMG_4359.jpeg

Perfectly executed. 

My panels are in pretty good shape, or I'd consider taking out a home equity loan and doing my doors up like this.

That said, I can imagine the experience of touching that piece of metal after the truck has sat in the Arizona sun a while would lead to some blisters in that distinctive tread pattern.

On 4/7/2024 at 9:00 AM, Spinnakerblue89 said:

I was at an auction yesterday and a very large new section of (probably) 1/8 or 1/16 inch diamond plating was sold off for $300. It looked to be at least eight feet long and about four feet wide. I guess considering prices, someone got a deal. 

Based on what it costs at the hardware store, that was about a house payment's worth.

Made some out of old truck tool boxes I got for free! You can get two sets of door panel out of the lids. The bottom of the tool box I mad my back of the cab plate where they had a carpet panel? Mine had no interior when I got it. It’s a complete rebuild restore..sort of. I’m in Texas and it gets hot. Shot em with harbor freight bedliner so they shouldn’t get to hot not to mention sound deadened and insulated the back side. I’m disabled so my funds ain’t what they used to be. Put my funds into the suspension drive train ect. Old 60’s trucks had metal door panels and headliners. Drove em for years. But I will have a/c. Here’s a picture of my cab plate or whatever to wanna call it. Not good at pictures but you can see what I got goin on.

IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4253.jpeg

IMG_4255.jpeg

IMG_4254.jpeg