Truck lurches after hard stop

On 3/12/2024 at 5:16 AM, cruiser54 said:

With an AW4, it's simple to do yourself.

Drain it with the plug.

Reinstall plug and begin with 3.75 quarts of ATF. DEXRON!!

You'll be so close.

Now, and this is on you. It's not on the transmission shop. Everyone needs to heed this!!

You should be checking your fluid levels periodically on your own. 

How often do you guys check the engine dipstick? Check trans fluid at the same time. 

Checking ALL the fluid levels should be done at every oil change minimum by whoever is performing the oil change.

Across the forums I see this over and over again. Posts and threads outlining some odd vehicle behavior that has a root cause of low or worn out fluids. 

Or a lack of someone who cares about your Jeep doing an undercarriage visual inspection. They're more interested in selling you a cabin air filter or an unnecessary and potentially damaging fluid flush bull$#!&. 

I am a big fan of also CHANGING the trans fluid on a regular basis.   With the AW-4 having a drain plug, it's virtually no excuse to not drain the pan and refill as described above periodically.   I do it about every 24k miles down here where it is hot, because the fluid breaks down with heat over time.

Replaced and calibrated the TPS. Issue persists. It is very hard to make the symptom occur purposely. Happens most often between 30 -45 mph when cruising under light throttle, at a constant speed. Symptom is a momentary drop of rpms (indicated no tach) followed a slight lurch and sound of drivetrain coming back under torque. No difference in presentation when in 3rd gear.

I have had a TPS fail in a way that produced a very similar symptom on a 97 XJ 4.0. Also had fuel pressure regulator as well as check valve in fuel pump produce somewhat similar symptoms on a 93 ZJ 4.0.

I have tried to reproduce the symptom by slowly moving the accelerator through it's range with the truck in neutral without success.

7 hours ago, EUREKA said:

Replaced and calibrated the TPS. Issue persists. It is very hard to make the symptom occur purposely. Happens most often between 30 -45 mph when cruising under light throttle, at a constant speed. Symptom is a momentary drop of rpms (indicated no tach) followed a slight lurch and sound of drivetrain coming back under torque. No difference in presentation when in 3rd gear.

I have had a TPS fail in a way that produced a very similar symptom on a 97 XJ 4.0. Also had fuel pressure regulator as well as check valve in fuel pump produce somewhat similar symptoms on a 93 ZJ 4.0.

I have tried to reproduce the symptom by slowly moving the accelerator through it's range with the truck in neutral without success.

My family had temporary lurching issues in our 97 ZJ 4.0L.  The issue was a combo of a bad O2 sensor and a cracked header.

1 hour ago, pizzaman09 said:

My family had temporary lurching issues in our 97 ZJ 4.0L.  The issue was a combo of a bad O2 sensor and a cracked header.

Something for me to look at, thank you.