Alternatives for the headliner board.

I am finally getting around to ripping the interior out of the truck to replace the floorboards- so while I'm in there, I'm going to put in a headliner of sorts. 

When I bought my '89, there was no headliner at all, not even the board. I've scoured the internetz looking for replacement ideas. I'm left with one end goal in mind, but multiple ways to reach it. What's the consensus on using material such as cork board for the headliner board? Is there another alternative? I don't have access to a used Cherokee or another Comanche headliner either. 

Essentially I'll be using denim from worn out pairs of jeans of mine as material, and the back pockets would be used for map or document storage above. Since my truck is Spinnaker blue and the interior golden tan, I figured using denim for the material would look just fine and save on material cost, but the rigid back piece...? 

Unfortunately I don't have any Levi's, so I can't say this will be the unicorn Jeep Comanche Pioneer Levi's Edition. 

I glued 1" thick foam directly to the steel and then covered it with speakerbox carpet.  it works pretty good.  :L:  doing it in chunks made it a lot easier to manage.  especially around the sunroofs.

24084472.jpg

We just did a group buy on SMS headliners, you can email Steve if you want, don't know how open he is to custom work or shipping an unfinished board. Price might be a little steep too. But failing that it's likely there's a bunch of us with used headliner boards kicking around in good enough shape to refinish.

My old one's still in the truck, don't know when I'll be able to get it swapped. Being in the cold dark part of the year without a good indoor space to work it may be a while before I'm motivated enough for cosmetic enhancements. Plus shipping something that big all the way down from Hoth likely wouldn't be worthwhile if there's closer available to you.
Maybe post up in the classifieds looking for a lightly distressed headliner board?

Hoth, that's funny! 

It's interesting seeing a sunroof in a Comanche. I personally wouldn't want one but I'm seldom disappointed with the craftsmanship that goes into the mods. My late father added one to his 1990 Ranger-- and incidentally, I used the cut out steel to repair floor boards in my ZJ.

I noticed there was a posting by SMS headliners late the year last. I'll go back to it before I make any decisions.

5 hours ago, Spinnakerblue89 said:

Hoth, that's funny! 

It's interesting seeing a sunroof in a Comanche. I personally wouldn't want one but I'm seldom disappointed with the craftsmanship that goes into the mods. My late father added one to his 1990 Ranger-- and incidentally, I used the cut out steel to repair floor boards in my ZJ.

I noticed there was a posting by SMS headliners late the year last. I'll go back to it before I make any decisions.

PM Sent

11 hours ago, Spinnakerblue89 said:

Hoth, that's funny! 

Seemed appropriate. Its nice and warm out right now. -25°C, only a gentle breeze, the windchill is only around -33. I spent about 10 minutes outside in a T-shirt earlier.
In Januaries past it’s been -45 with windchill factors dipping into the absurd. But the warm weather still doesn’t inspire me to go mess around outside on non-critical tasks in the dark, and I’d rather be doing other things when the sun’s out on the weekend.