Coolant hose connector help

1000005000.jpg.b2657f9e99e2bdca9ff4d04af68c10b8.jpgMan I was pumped last night I got to change my oil and grease everything... Hard to find time with little kids. I celebrated by taking a drive and got exactly one mile before the cabin started smoking...

I find a coolant leak and the source... It looks like maybe it's a check valve and connector for the coolant overflow, it has a directional arrow pointing towards the coolant overflow tank....

IMG20231231191629.jpg.fc23cb92ffc42fe0e5957655dafdc5e4.jpg

IMG20231231191808.jpg.d03fb5863f306f73471f3b3500639e00.jpg

385722809_IMG202312311918122.jpg.bcd0d29d55be955f222a79610e9ce912.jpg

I think it's a plastic connector but it was late and dark. My questions,

1. Is this a standard part I could pick up at a big box? Or is this a special part I would need to order and from where?

2. What could I call this part, or how would I search for it?

3. Does this present an opportunity to improve the cooling system? I have seen people talk about switching from open to closed system but I've never dived into that, and I'm not sure what benefits that provides...

Any wisdom is appreciated!

P.s. what is this gray metal part that is attached to a clip next to this part of the cooling hose?

IMG20231231191858.jpg.693b5e976db7ed2baae13ec7f150cd37.jpg

11 minutes ago, billyblankss said:

3. Does this present an opportunity to improve the cooling system? I have seen people talk about switching from open to closed system but I've never dived into that, and I'm not sure what benefits that provides...

Imho the closed system is fine, as long as everything is functioning properly. I've had my comanche for a year and it has never overheated, except that one time the shop I used flushed the coolant and didn't burp the system🤬

1623743312_IMG202401011300062.jpg.0e01d850952de581b4b84aef5ba706ff.jpgOk update, it looks like this is a whole metal part with crimped ends that has rusted out at that connection site...

IMG20240101125957.jpg.92b93c87b3891c7cd802a32ae7c7b465.jpg

The house branches off from I think the water pump 

271892761_IMG202401011300162.jpg.d0154dba25978c8db18fb10635306df3.jpg

To I think this is something like the heater core? 

248922425_IMG202401011303252.jpg.8e22af521e546f9aab8e4fd4859b13e9.jpg

So now the question may be do I need to be a replacement for this whole assembly? And then I guess all the hoses that are crimped as well? Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there a secret to removing these crimped hoses or do I need to buy a whole new replacement octopus?

IMG20240101130830.jpg.426bc4d299c85de7273f987c469d7c06.jpg

It's the heater control valve. You don't even need it. There are options.

I get a radiator for let's say a 1992 Cherokee. 

Get the heater hoses for a 97 and later Cherokee.

Ditch the pressure bottle and install a universal coolant overflow tank. 

I'm working on a Tip to show how simple this is to do. It eliminates decades old heater hoses which are NLA, eliminates a real failure prone and unnecessary part, and gets you a new radiator without using the crappy pressure bottles. 

# 34 Eliminating the heater control valve in XJs/MJs
Why would you want to? This valve is unnecessary and a source of leaks and complications. Jeep
eliminated it as time passed and so can you. With the valve gone, radiator water flows to the heater
core all the time, but your hot/cold door position blocks it when heat is off or when on AC. Your call if
you must remain original for your year. In which case you probably haven’t eliminated the front axle
disconnect either. Jeep also did away with that!

Here is what the control valve looks like; four hoses to and from the
radiator, and to and from the heater core, AND a vacuum line which
controls the valve. Pull off the vacuum line and plug it securely before you
forget. Your engine will tell you if you forgot!
Now pull the hoses off the valve. These can be discarded, EXCEPT you likely
will need some of the hose going down to water pump so, leave it in place
until you decide if and how much you need and where to cut it.
A big caution: be careful when you remove the hoses from the core inlets
going through the firewall. The hoses will be frozen on, and
excessive force could damage the heater core causing you big
problems! Suggest you cut the hoses close to the core inlets, then peel back a little hose at a
time and gently cut with a utility knife until you can easily twist it off. Note: the core
connectors are different sizes as shown! Bottom about 5/8” and top close to ¾”.
I purchased two Gates hoses as shown for a ’97 XJ, Gates
numbers 19039 for the longer and 19038 for the smaller.
Inspection suggests these are right—good fit! The bigger and
longer hose connects from the thermostat housing, top, front of
the engine and the larger connector at the firewall. The smaller
hose goes on the smaller core connector and comes back to join
the hose going down to the water pump.
Note: this smaller hose only reaches back to the AC compressor
because Jeep brought up a metal pipe in later models alongside
the AC. You probably won’t have that but, you did leave the hose
going down there in place, right? You just need to connect the 19038 up with that hose
using a barbed, 5/8” connector, brass or PVC. You may need to cut the 19038 to fit based on
the positioning of your barb connector.
All you need now is to install and tighten clamps. Couple issues: Some claim the PVC
connectors fail in time. I have never experienced that, but I needed a new one and bought
brass (easy to find—standard garden hose 5/8” connector). Secondly, there is an argument
about air bubbles and water flow with some suggesting that the larger hose 19039 coming
from the thermostat should go to the smaller heater core connector on the firewall. Well, the smaller
hose coming up from the water pump is pressurized, so going to the lower and smaller heater core
connection seems right to me. Also, if you feel the need to
switch them, then you have to cut both hoses and downsize

one and upsize the other on the heater core end! For me, I just install where they logically fit by size, big
end to big fitting, and they look the cleanest with nice parallel hoses. DONE!

I 100% endorse Cruiser's thought on ditching the fragile heater control valve.  Those junky things do NOT age well, especially here in AZ, where temperatures really make plastic very brittle.

There are those Jeepers who will prattle on about how removing that valve will allow the coolant to circulate through the heater core all the time and thus decrease air conditioning performance.   While that might be theoretically possible, I cannot say that I have seen ANY NOTICEABLE difference.   (And I say this as a guy who uses his AC most of the time, since I live in Phoenix.

13 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

# 34 Eliminating the heater control valve in XJs/MJs
Why would you want to? This valve is unnecessary and a source of leaks and complications. Jeep
eliminated it as time passed and so can you. With the valve gone, radiator water flows to the heater
core all the time, but your hot/cold door position blocks it when heat is off or when on AC. Your call if
you must remain original for your year. In which case you probably haven’t eliminated the front axle
disconnect either. Jeep also did away with that!

Here is what the control valve looks like; four hoses to and from the
radiator, and to and from the heater core, AND a vacuum line which
controls the valve. Pull off the vacuum line and plug it securely before you
forget. Your engine will tell you if you forgot!
Now pull the hoses off the valve. These can be discarded, EXCEPT you likely
will need some of the hose going down to water pump so, leave it in place
until you decide if and how much you need and where to cut it.
A big caution: be careful when you remove the hoses from the core inlets
going through the firewall. The hoses will be frozen on, and
excessive force could damage the heater core causing you big
problems! Suggest you cut the hoses close to the core inlets, then peel back a little hose at a
time and gently cut with a utility knife until you can easily twist it off. Note: the core
connectors are different sizes as shown! Bottom about 5/8” and top close to ¾”.
I purchased two Gates hoses as shown for a ’97 XJ, Gates
numbers 19039 for the longer and 19038 for the smaller.
Inspection suggests these are right—good fit! The bigger and
longer hose connects from the thermostat housing, top, front of
the engine and the larger connector at the firewall. The smaller
hose goes on the smaller core connector and comes back to join
the hose going down to the water pump.
Note: this smaller hose only reaches back to the AC compressor
because Jeep brought up a metal pipe in later models alongside
the AC. You probably won’t have that but, you did leave the hose
going down there in place, right? You just need to connect the 19038 up with that hose
using a barbed, 5/8” connector, brass or PVC. You may need to cut the 19038 to fit based on
the positioning of your barb connector.
All you need now is to install and tighten clamps. Couple issues: Some claim the PVC
connectors fail in time. I have never experienced that, but I needed a new one and bought
brass (easy to find—standard garden hose 5/8” connector). Secondly, there is an argument
about air bubbles and water flow with some suggesting that the larger hose 19039 coming
from the thermostat should go to the smaller heater core connector on the firewall. Well, the smaller
hose coming up from the water pump is pressurized, so going to the lower and smaller heater core
connection seems right to me. Also, if you feel the need to
switch them, then you have to cut both hoses and downsize

one and upsize the other on the heater core end! For me, I just install where they logically fit by size, big
end to big fitting, and they look the cleanest with nice parallel hoses. DONE!

Hey cruiser this is a great write up and I'd love to reference the pictures you mention. I went to your site but the link to this one tip is not functioning. Can I still view that page somehow?