Steering column

Hello my peeps! I know there is info on this but can’t find it so thought I’d ask the powers that be! I’m wanting to install new steering columns in my Cherokee comanche and yj. Movin the windshield wiper to the dash and getting rid of the key in the column as well. My question is can you put a shorter column in? Say your column is 32” can you put a 30” in? Basically to give a fat boy a bit more room? I personally don’t see why not but I’ve never done this. I’ve replaced with same units but never a different length. I figured as long as the blinker lever ain’t into the das and the mounting cup is same length to the end of the shaft it would work? Please feel free to poke holes in my theory. Haven’t bought the column yet and the mounting cup will have to be solved as they don’t seem to come with em. The little cup thing on the end of the column that bolts to the floor. Don’t know what it’s called but you get the idea. As always many many thanks!

I have switched out the column in my 83 CJ for a YJ column.  I wanted the wiper controls and high/low beam switch on the column.  Very happy with the outcome.

As for going the other way, it may give you more belly room. But it might give you less room between the bottom of the steering wheel and the top of your thighs.  I have experience with this in my CJ.  I had a YJ/XJ/MJ steering wheel on the CJ column.  I switched to a factory CJ wheel, which has more "dish", in other words it sticks out further.  It's less than an inch, but it might a noticeable difference in my thigh room.  And that's with a tilt column, yes you could tilt it up, but with it in the position I preferred, it gave me more thigh room.  When I switched to the YJ column, I kept the CJ steering wheel.  An aftermarket steering wheel with a smaller diameter would help, but I prefer the look of a factory steering wheel, and the reliable function of the factory horn button.  Some aftermarket steering wheels have a less than great horn button design.

You probably know this, yes the XJ and MJ have that mounting flange (cup) at the bottom of the column.  The CJ/YJ columns do not.  The mounting flange is a two piece deal that bolts around the column tube and is somewhat adjustable  by design.  By the way, I'm speaking about 76-86 CJ columns.

A source for a simple tube column would be earlier CJs, like 55-75.  I'm not sure if that is what you have in mind.  They don't have tilt, or the ignition switch, or key switch, or anything.  The turn signal is a separate clamp on unit with the wires running down the outside of the column tube, visible.  The only controls built into the column is the horn button.  I'm sure there are similar designs in other cars from that era.

I guess something else to consider is the factory CJ (76-86)/YJ/XJ/MJ columns are designed to collapse during an accident so the driver isn't impaled.  Earlier designs weren't designed to collapse.  Although 55-75 Jeep CJs with the Ross steering system, I think the column might pivot up and away from the driver in a front end collision.  I'm not positive on that, just thinking of the way it is designed.  But if it is adapted to a Saginaw steering box, the driver being in danger during a front end collision might be very real.

Just a suggestion; the AMC era XJ and MJ steering columns are GM parts that have been around the block, from squarebodies, S-10s, Blazers to almost all of their cars from that period. So, maybe try a search to see if any of the GM guys found a solution to your problem?