Aftermarket vapor canister

I don't know about the Jeep 2.5, but according to Dormans website, it fits 74-79 and 82-95 GM.  On a Rockauto search, it breaks it down by year and model, most notably Chevy Impala 1976-1995.  If you are anywhere near a junkyard, you could pick one up cheap to try.  For example, U Pull It in Memphis lists a charcoal canister for $8.99.  They have a 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood in stock that uses that part according to Rockauto.

Here is my take on it though I may be off :laugh:. The charcoal “activation” creates tiny pores to increase surface area. VOC’s get trapped inside those tiny pockets. The engine then pulls fresh air through the replaceable filter on the bottom and extracts the VOC’s out of the charcoal and into the intake manifold. So the way I see it, the charcoal is not actually serving as a filter, more like a reservoir for VOC’s. If the activated charcoal was actually performing a filter function, then it would need to be replaced very frequently. But by design, the only replaceable item is the bottom air filter. Now if the charcoal inside becomes dirty and clogs the pores of the charcoal (perhaps from a dirty air filter or muddy water intrusion) then it wouldn’t work correctly anymore. But if maintained properly by replacing the filter and ensuring engine vacuum is always present, I can’t see why it wouldn’t last as long as the vehicle. Again, my theory is based on the idea that the activated charcoal is serving more as a collecting medium vs a filtration system. 

That seems to sum it up. Let me add the canister vents the fuel tank vapors and pressure to the atmosphere through the charcoal, through the filter (if good) and out the bottom. Under this condition the bottom is an outlet.