Rev hang issue

For the past few months my Renix 2.5 Comanche has had a rev hang like issue. When I take my foot off the throttle to shift, the rpm doesn't go down and in some cases it goes up. Originally I thought my o2 sensor was to blame but after replacing that with an NTK sensor the problem didn't resolve. I've now moved on the the TPS however I am unable to backprobe the connector as I can't fit the probes of my multimeter in the plug. I'm not sure where to go from here. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TPS is pretty easy to back probe. Your probes don’t have the cones on them do they? If you use the probes and just follow the wire into the protective boot of the weather pack, it will go right in and give you a reading. 

Now high idle on a 2.5L would lead me to a vac issue first. I used to have such on occasion where the hose from the bottom of the manifold would come off and create a high idle for me like 1100-1300. The hose in question would go to the back portion on top of the valve cover. 

That’s just the harness. Believe it or not the 4.0L uses the same harness style, so if you want to replace the harness itself, you can get the 4.0 one but you’ll have to trim the bigger lines and get some flexible vac line to make the connections. But the hoses are glued in. 

• 4 months later...

After messing with the jeep quite a bit I thought my rev hang was being caused by the isa. I rebuilt it, however no change. I also drove the jeep without the isa which completely resolved the rev hang. Just to make sure, I bought a new isa but still no change. This really confuses me because I know I have a properly working isa but if I remove it my problem goes away.