Fuel tank.

Joe Dirt

I probably know the answer already but.... Is there any fuel tank upgrades available?  I filled my tank last night and it was just pouring out. Guess a factory replacement is the best route to take? Has any1 on here successfully swapped an xj tank to factory spare tire location? Just asking cause i have an xj parts truck and a welder lol. Any input on what to do and who puts out the best replacement would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks everyone...

They make factory replacements and they are just fine.

I have an XJ tank just behind the cab of one of my trucks but it's far from stock- lifted, flat bed/cage setup etc. The tank isn't really ideal under any part of the MJ compared to stock tank setup

I'm sure others will chime in about the TJ tank in the rear where the spare tire would be but I can attest to it NOT being as simple as it's made out to be. There is also the fact of routing your fuel filler hose to it that becomes problematic as well.

There are some people who have tried to fit a LWB tank into a SWB truck.  Some say it isn't possible, but I've seen pics.  The only issue is with the filler neck location.  Otherwise, it will clear the rear axle.

I plan on doing this in my SWB truck at some point in the future.

You don’t need to pull the tank to change out the fuel sending unit. It goes into the side, you just need to have it below ~2/3 of a tank to avoid spilling fuel. It’s also not an uncommon leak point. Rotten fuel filler hose can also cause leaks. 
I guess what I’m saying is that while new everything will most likely solve your problem, it might not be necessary. But the peace of mind of having it all new and functional may well be worth it. 

I can’t imagine there’s many options out there for tanks. I put the Spectra into my longbed about six years ago and have no complaints. For how small the market is they may well still be pulling from the same batch. 
I’m sure I’ve seen the XJ tank done, but I’d be nervous about it myself. Especially on a longbed. I think it would be pretty vulnerable there.

I have an XJ tank in mine. Plenty of fabrication required but its not impossible.  Looks factory from the outside.

I did a complete 97+ conversion from a donor XJ. Swapped over 100% of the wiring so its just plug and play. 

3 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

You don’t need to pull the tank to change out the fuel sending unit. It goes into the side, you just need to have it below ~2/3 of a tank to avoid spilling fuel. It’s also not an uncommon leak point. Rotten fuel filler hose can also cause leaks. 
I guess what I’m saying is that while new everything will most likely solve your problem, it might not be necessary. But the peace of mind of having it all new and functional may well be worth it. 

I can’t imagine there’s many options out there for tanks. I put the Spectra into my longbed about six years ago and have no complaints. For how small the market is they may well still be pulling from the same batch. 
I’m sure I’ve seen the XJ tank done, but I’d be nervous about it myself. Especially on a longbed. I think it would be pretty vulnerable there.

I know i had at least a pin hole in bottom i usually keep about a 1/2 tank in it. But i filled it up n fuel was coming down both sides of the tank. I had buckets under it lol. It looks like the original. Its just time. Ill order the works. Like i said i wanna do it once. I'm just trying to get everything i can off my xj b4 i scrap it. I got it on the cheap. Grabbed it for the ax-15,  the 1 piece axle d-30, and the control arms. Its got me out of a couple jams already with parts here n there. Thanks again every1.