my day at the JY

dfreeman616

so i was out looking for a tailgate today, since the one my truck came with has no metal along the entire bottom side and is split for right lower corner to right upper corner, doesn't close or even stay on the pivots anymore. found one in the area about 30 minutes away from talking on the phone. guy there said it's a 4 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being trashed beyond use. so sounds worth the drive given where i live in the salt belt. get out there and find a dented up SWB with some rust, 2wd which supposedly ran and drove til he set it on top of another car, 4.0L renix with 5-speed. looked at the tailgate, it has some rust on the bottom but still looks like i could fix it. a couple dents along the top, including at the handle. try opening it, no luck. great. waste of my day. but i figure, hey, might as well see if it has anything else of use. hood could be useful, but otherwise every other panel is trashed. tail lights both broken. but it had a cargo light, and bucket seats! so i'm thinking of what to offer for those, and take a gander underneath....and see something like this...

v8eagle4.jpg

yup, factory MJ 44!!! so i offered him scrap value plus $20 for the entire truck, and i'll go pick it up once he moves the other cars out of the way. seems like a pretty good deal to me! i'll be posting some things up for sale as i get the chance, so keep an eye out. i'm not sure yet if i'll keep the 44 or sell, i'll keep cargo light and bucket brackets, though. already have some nicer seats from an xj to go on them.

Nice...sounds like you did better than me at the JY... I went down to the local Pick and Pull (Moss Landing, CA) this AM for the first time.

They actually had an 88 Manche, but it was pretty worked and stripped already. 2.5L with very little left and long bed with a Tomy Lift Gate that looked hosed. Inside was pretty much gutted.

From a couple XJ's they had, I did pull a few dash switch panels, some with 2 switches and a couple with 1. I did get 1 Dome Light from the Manche (not in great shape), and a Door Light Switch (kinda rusty), and a Middle Vent that didn't appear too "floppy", and a couple clock Covers (all the XJ clocks were gone or busted). Overall, not really that great of a haul...

I was actually looking for a couple things for my 2003 Tahoe, and they didn't have "Squat" for newer stuff.

SW2

I had an awesome day at th JY today. Found a yard with 2 87 MJs in great shape - hardly molested at all. they told me I wouldn't find a Comanche there, lol. One swb had a completely intact interior minus the radio in the same color as mine! I got a dash bezel, speaker grilles, window crank, tow mirror glass and seals, and a slider latch. The other was a lwb in green - which I've never seen before with some strange looking large comanche emblems on it. Wierd, but cool. The tailgate on the green one was crap, but the swb truck might be good. It was under a cap that was slid off the truck so I couldn't see it. Next trip back, i'm going to check it put. That truck is a goldmine for me.

I did manage to break a part I really needed though trying to get it off. The small plastic triangle that covers the screw holes on the outside where the small mirrors would be on tow mirror trucks. Dangit. Anyone have some of these to sell me? I really need these so i can put my tow mirrors on.

Also, there was an XJ there with a tach dash w/ clock showing 146k. Anyone want it? He told me he'd give it to me for $60. i could go back and pull it sometime. When it's less muddy, I'm conna crawl under those trucks and see what else I can find.

I had an awesome day at th JY today. Found a yard with 2 87 MJs in great shape - hardly molested at all. they told me I wouldn't find a Comanche there, lol. One swb had a completely intact interior minus the radio in the same color as mine! I got a dash bezel, speaker grilles, window crank, tow mirror glass and seals, and a slider latch. The other was a lwb in green - which I've never seen before with some strange looking large comanche emblems on it. Wierd, but cool. The tailgate on the green one was crap, but the swb truck might be good. It was under a cap that was slid off the truck so I couldn't see it. Next trip back, i'm going to check it put. That truck is a goldmine for me.

I did manage to break a part I really needed though trying to get it off. The small plastic triangle that covers the screw holes on the outside where the small mirrors would be on tow mirror trucks. Dangit. Anyone have some of these to sell me? I really need these so i can put my tow mirrors on.

Also, there was an XJ there with a tach dash w/ clock showing 146k. Anyone want it? He told me he'd give it to me for $60. i could go back and pull it sometime. When it's less muddy, I'm conna crawl under those trucks and see what else I can find.

I tried to get a Tach Dash Cluster out of an 89 XJ (4.0L) that had about 186K on the dial, but darned if I couldn't get the thing out... I did all the screws and it was moving arround, but couldn't get it out past the steering column.

Had a pretty good JY day myself, copped a dana 44 outta 87 cherokee,headliner panel outta 86 manche in great shape! Got rear hatch shocks outta some year dodge or chrysler mini van and installed as almost a direct bolt in on both jeep engine hoods.(never did like messing with them damn hood prop bars! Took it all home for a c note!

ko

Pick n Pull here has a 1/2 off everything sale going on till the 1st. I didn't find one thing that I needed or even wanted. :headpop:

I almost pulled some of those. If they are there next time, I'll get them.

i'm not sure yet if i'll keep the 44 or sell

I've got a real nice tail gate I'll trade ya for the D44. :brows: No rust and just a few small dings.

you do know that you have to remove the door panel to properly remove that piece right?

it has a screw holding it in on the bottom.