Vermont "loophole" closed

Eagle

33 minutes ago, Muncher said:

there goes all there money 

Not likely. Most state programs like vehicle registration operate at or near zero profit. It’s a service the state provides. They may well be losing money on it with the added logistics of having to ship plates all over and additional need for external database access due to plate inquiries from out of state on a much larger percentage of their registered fleet than just people driving to other places.

Just now, gogmorgo said:

Not likely. Most state programs like vehicle registration operate at or near zero profit. It’s a service the state provides. They may well be losing money on it with the added logistics of having to ship plates all over and additional need for external database access due to plate inquiries from out of state on a much larger percentage of their registered fleet than just people driving to other places.

I know south dakota makes a ton of money on it and they don't even charge that much 

On 7/15/2023 at 11:06 AM, Muncher said:

South dakota and Montana still do it. Much better states always! I got into Vermont right before they closed it. What idiots they are For closing it though there goes all there money 

20230705_110922.jpg

Montana doesn't do it, unless they've changed.

The '88 SporTruck I recently sold was registered in Montana. I bought it in Rhode Island, so I had a bill-of-ale but no title, becvause Rhode Island doesn't issue titles on vehicles more than 10 (15?) years old. I fixed up an '88 XJ for a former GF in Montana and drove it out there, so I took the paperwork for the MJ with me and registered it in Montana, using her address. No problem.

Until it was time to renew. My check had my Connecticut address on it, so the Montana DMV declined to renew my registration. By that time I had a Montana title so I was okay, but I would have preferred to maintain the Montana registration. In retrospect, I should have sent the paperwork to the ex-GF and had her send it in from her mailing address and paying with her check with a local address. But that's the lesson learned the ghard way.