Air cleaner relocate

Well I have a 86 manche and Ive been going back and forth on this tell me what you think.I want to relocate my airbox,some have said snorkel tube yet I think I will lose visability and I trail ride and have already lost mirrors and lights.I have also heard of cjs running there air boxes into the glove box,is this possible and worth the trouble?

we ran a snorkel on the XJ for a long time... all i'm gonna say is this.

idled in a water-crossing up to the cowl when the guy infront of us got stuck (cool)

crushed the fender in the rollover. (snorkel is 100% fine.) flipped th etruck smashed the windshield, busted the radiator, crushed the fender, mashed up the a-pillar on that side... but the snorkel has only a few scratches. (tough)

l_0a69eb5f88187dc6452d459b67b0c1f1.jpg

l_1a7c05f4b1ea8a5927c53750024b70d4.jpg

the head of it got bent a little but that part is cheap to replace or run without even

to glove box?

nope, not possible. your heaterbox/ac box is right there. you could do it if it's a trail only rig with no heat, but not any other way. plus, that will create negative cabin pressure in the xj/mj cabs...which will probably result in the "pop" feeling in your ears with windows up...again, not a great thing for prolonged amounts of time.

snorkel won't affect visibility with the xj...it sits in a blind spot for the most part, and the only thing you may notice is not seeing 2" or so over the flare that you otherwise would have...but so what?

and as stated, they're tough, IF you buy the right brand.

The cabs are vented. It'd probably be okay... Sorta. Routing is do-able, run it over the engine and through the cowl above the blower motor (there's a huge space in there not used by anything) and into the cab.

Buddy runs the intake in his YJ into where the blower motor would be on most vehicles (above the passenger's feet) and it's kinda loud.

Yeah this manche of mine is turning into a offroad only rig.I put a 2" lift,2"wheel spacers,17"rims with 35"procomp tires.I cut out the rear and removed the front fenders to acomadate the tires.I don't want to go to high cuz it is a great hill climber.Putting fuel cell in bed and optima dry cell battery in bed as well.My rear window busted on a trail so I got grating witch I'm going to weld across it,and then I have some lexan glass I'm going to wingnut to it to keep some waterout.My future plans include makin tube bumpers to accomadate my 10,000 pound winch with auxilary deep cycle batery probally goin to end up in bed too.I am makin rock sliders and puttin a roll cage in.I am mounting a permanent tow bar on front so my dodge 2500 4x4 can pull it where ever I go.So I think I have it pretty much figured out except how to keep water out of my carb and intake.I am thinkin that the snorkels are pretty costly and if I could do the cab relocation it might work concidering heat and cabin pressure don't aply to me without a back window....besides I might even pull my doors and sell them,then build tube doors.Muy doors are solid if I decide to sell I will post in classifides.

yes 2.8 .Why is it the lack of power?Cuz I would like to go to a 4.0 yet I'm not sure if i would have to swap out trany and all.I do agree I would like more power yet it seams there is enough to get me up any hill and I don't spin tires and lose traction.I love my manche and plan on keepin it and doin alot of mods ,like I said its an off road rig.I already have all of the parts for the things i listed i was doing exsept the tube for my bumpers,its coming.Yet any advice you could send i would apriciate and if you could tell me whats all involved in amotor swap please let me know.thanx

unless you waterproof everything in your engine bay.. a snorkle is completely useless.. and dumb looking in my opinion..

..they are becoming a mall crawler accessory now..

...?

the engine bay was not waterproof, and it didn't really matter, we went through deeper water than what killed your MJ a while back ;)

The disty won't take long to flood without being waterproofed. I can remember a time when my MJ was stock and I did some minor water crossings, and I pushed water with the bottoms of the headlights more than once, but as soon as it got a little higher the engine would quit.

I've never driven in water deep enough to matter since then.