GrandBoost98s Comanche

I got the original driver door back on and decided to go with the 97+ mirrors. I also spent some time cleaning the interior, it was kind of nasty. 

Messed around with the tailgate a bit. Those straps are a real PITA. The passenger side keeps binding up and bending the bracket. Also the passenger side hinge is really loose and you have to pick up on that side to close the tailgate

And I discovered a few cracks in the cap and noticed the top of the passenger side window isnt sealed at all. Trying to decide if its worth fixing or not

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/17/2022 at 6:53 AM, GrandBoost98 said:

I got the original driver door back on and decided to go with the 97+ mirrors. I also spent some time cleaning the interior, it was kind of nasty. 

Messed around with the tailgate a bit. Those straps are a real PITA. The passenger side keeps binding up and bending the bracket. Also the passenger side hinge is really loose and you have to pick up on that side to close the tailgate

And I discovered a few cracks in the cap and noticed the top of the passenger side window isnt sealed at all. Trying to decide if its worth fixing or not

I’ve found with the tailgate straps when they start to do that you can just give them a couple bends away and they will work like new 

52 minutes ago, jpnjake said:

I’ve found with the tailgate straps when they start to do that you can just give them a couple bends away and they will work like new 

I messed with it for a bit. It had deep grooves in it where it was catching so I smoothed all that out. Straightened the bracket. Mimicked the bend on the driver side strap and the first try dug another goove and started to bend the bracket again. Doesnt help that all the rubber bumpers are squished and or mangled. I might just try to find some cables that will work

Decided to drive it to work today. The blower motor quit working a couple miles from home so I could barely see out of the windshield . Theyre painting new lines on the road I normally take to work so I was forced to take the highway for the first time in this thing lol it drove well for what it is. Being a 4 speed, I wouldnt take it over 65mph but luckily I only had to go up a couple exits. It definitely needs brakes in the front and I think the light scraping noise on hard left turns is related to that. The 2 door came with a new set of front brakes on it but I'm not sure that they will fit on the 2wd axle. Or maybe I would have to swap hubs as well. Or just swap the whole axle since I want to eventually 4WD swap it anyways 

6 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Lol I kinda do. It’s worth what you’re willing to pay for such…and condition is everything with the interior. I’d throw out a price but I don’t want everyone to take my word as good as some have tried to sell different colors with little to no attention. 

I was kind of expecting that response lol I just thought burgundy was pretty rare. Hes asking $800 and has everything but the steering column, headliner and vinyl floor mat. Id love to spruce up my shotty interior with this setup, just don't know if its worth it 

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

$800? And you don’t get everything inside? I mean I probably would understand say black, navy, honey, garnet, or even the light blue but for a color that went from 87-92 is a bit much. 

See lol thats why I asked first. My Jeep knowledge base is mainly YJ history so I'm not sure whats rare/worth anything. Youd probably cry at the amount of cherokee stuff I just threw away over the years parting them out, I did when I got the comanche :doh:

• 2 months later...

Small up date. 

I got rid of the 2 door XJ, which let me put the YJ on the trailer and the MJ into the garage. I decided to just swap out the 2wd axle with a high pinion D30 out of my wifes XJ that already has matching 3.55s. It would have cost me a couple hundred bucks to do brakes on the 2wd axle so this just seemed like a no brainer. My buddy that took the 2 door XJ said hes got an ax5 with a np231 still on it out of a YJ I can have. Just trying to decide if I want to find a XJ or TJ ax5 instead to get the external slave. 

Oh and interior will probably get another overhaul. The seats I put in there really arent that comfortable. I'm thinking I might throw a bench seat in there for now with a cover on it until I find some nice buckets. I got a $200 gift certificate to Qtec that I'm going to put towards floor pans. The heater core needs to be replaced and I still have to decide if I want to keep the original dash or swap in the tan one from the XJ

• 3 weeks later...

Had some time to kill in the garage the other day. Was checking all the fluids and found that the brake fluid was pretty nasty so I pumped out what i could, replaced with new and bled all the brakes. Cleaned up and greased the slide pins. Unbent a dust shield that was causing the scrapping sound. And to my surprise, the brakes actually feel pretty good now! 

Then I started to dive into the electrical mess...only shocked myself a couple times lol but I think I figured out the POs mess. In the box there are 4 relays being used. One for the light bar, one for the light pods and I'm guessing the other two are for blinkers and brake lights. Eventually I'm going to get rid of all this mess. Mostly likely when I do the heater core 

Finally, I have a couple leads on AX5s but I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. Does anyone know if I could use any AX5, like say out of a TJ, without having to use a custom pilot bushing, clutch or anything else? I want this to be as straight forward as possible.

20230121_162119.jpg

20230121_162129.jpg

Things I know
-I will need to get a front and rear driveshaft of the proper lengths.
-Wrangler transmissions clock the tcases up and I will need to hammer or possibly cut a hole in the floor pan to fit
-Wrangler shifter linkages are different. 

Things I need to figure out
-Could I use one of those heim joint replacement NP231 shift assemblies for an XJ?
-What pilot bushing/bearing do I use? Looking on rockauto I think its the same from 88-98
-what clutch do I use? (guessing I could use any year AX5 clutch)
-How to make the speedo work? (mechanical vs electric speed sensor)
-what crossmember and mount do I use? (guessing I could use same one thats on the truck)

And is there anything else I'm missing? I want to get all the parts together before tearing the MJ apart since it does drive right now

only the AX-15 has a different crossmember.  all others use the same one.

XJ and MJ shifter assemblies are the same.

TJ and YJ transmissions will clock the t-case up a bit. 

pull the electric parts out of the t-case and insert the mechanical bits.  :L: 

far as I know all AX-15s use the same clutch.

• 2 months later...

Drove it to work today:jammin:

Two of my other go to vehicles wiper blades are shot and I had recently put a set on the MJ so I thought it would be a good idea to take it to work in the rain. Well the wipers quit working on me half way to work:doh: luckily I don't live too far. Anything common I can check while on break at work before my ride home?

On 4/7/2023 at 9:35 AM, Pete M said:

fuses and that little silver circuit breaker. 

Tech Qs should really go in the Tech forum so more eyes will see them faster. :L: 

Luckily it stopped raining for my ride home. I tried them again anyway before leaving work and they swiped a couple times and then stopped again. So maybe a bad ground or weak motor causing the circuit breaker to trip

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Pete M said:

that shouldn't be a problem.  sometimes iphones are an issue.  is it giving you any sort or warning or message?

Says theyre too big but Ive posted the same pics on a few other forums without issue. I even tried to crop one down to see if that would work but no luck